Is Higher education strongly discouraged in 2007 district convention?

by dark angle 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dark angle
    dark angle

today in our rehersal, i met with our district convension overseer. He told us that college or higher education is now strongly discouraged by the society. I argued that such policy is not practical here in the philippines since most jobs now require some sort of college education unlike in other countries where there are demands on skills regardless on educational attainment. however he insist that since the policy was made by the "faithful and discreet slave" it must be right regardless. i didn't pursue more on the argument since i felt its not my busines to convince him otherwise. Our convention will be next week.

Is it that true?

Has anyone here have a copy of such talk? if you have, could you post it here? what do you feel about such policy or strong suggestion?

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

This is a recoding of the talk from the convention in Gwinett, Ga:

The Superiority of Being Taught by Jehovah

The talk focused on the benefits of a basic education and how higher education is not beneficial. It takes the extreme that college is about partying all the time and how it can be a blow to one's financial situation. One sister interviewed gave her experience about how her college pursuit fared for her. My opinion was that she made bad choices vs it being the outcome of pursuing college.

Wasanelderonce has made some great videos based off this audio and others which put college education in a proper perspective in my opinion:
    Going to College is Like Leaving Jehovah for Egypt
    Jehovah's Witnesses Discourage College 2007 DC talk Jehovah's Witnesses Discourage College 2007 DC talk Part !!

• dark angle
    dark angle

Thanks Fading Away,

I'm going to listen & critique it. thanks also for the other links! will also pay a visit to those.

Lately the society is behaving more strangely.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

See, here is the thing with those "experiences" given at assemblys from people that couldn't cut in college......

Usually, you have a bro or sis on stage confirming that college is nothing but a drunken orgy of frat parties and illicit sex. What no one sees, and it is failed to be mentioned, is how socially retarded those are that are raised in the "Truth" really are, so that when they get to college and are free from the chains of their overbearing parents they just go crazy on the freedom high and do everything they were never allowed to do or experience before in their lives. They have no social gauge or self-control in which to say, "I'm not goig to down that half bottle of Captain Morgan and then screw 3 different guys." - it just isn't there. They are away from home for the first time, out from under the microscope of their parents constant JW watchfulness, and feel so free and high spirited that they go overboard all at once. Most kids aren't like this; my neice is going away to college and although Lutheran, is not the Devil's tool at all. She has been given freedom by her parents, but doesn't even have a boyfriend, smoke, or even stay out. She is too busy with her LIFE in band, school studies, choir, church youth activities, etc to be immoral.

JW youth and young adults are completely socially retarded and clueless as to how to behave themselves around other people away from mommy and daddy's constant belittling. I know, I was raised in and used to be a social retard just like the ones you see in your local congregation, and I went to college as well. I think I know what I'm talking about.

Regards,

Wing Commander

• dark angle
    dark angle

@ wing commander,

Yep your right, most sheilded young witness, when they cut loose from their guards, behave abnormally!! the experience is not there yet, the wisdom that follows from personnal observation and experiences of life.

These so called faithful and descreet slave may learn more about the buddhist philosophy about life.

• Mulan
    Mulan

It always happens this way...........when their numbers start slipping, they tighten the controls.

I've seen it many times over the years..................god forbid, they keep up with the times...........or the Mormons. Hahhaaa.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

In fact, yes they are cracking down on college. Not yet to the extent that one can get disfellowshipped, but they are making it look evil. And they don't give a crap that jobs that do not require college are scarce in some areas. That's the way they want it, and they are going to do all they can to keep people out of college.

There have been numerous threads about this topic during this past summer. One of them had a speaker at the Grand Boasting Session (I remember it was still May) that added the letters D.E.A.D. to the degrees of those going to college. I would say that was pretty strong language.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

This is kind of crazy at this point. If you go onto monster.com and look at the jobs 1/2 of them REQUIRE a degree to do them, and they're just entry level positions. From expirience in the work place, I was being considered for a management position at my previous job over someone who had been there 30 years vs. my 1 year of expirience just because I had a degree and they didn't. I can't see kids abiding by this very long, if only because it's truly survival at this point. You can't buy a house on minimum wage, you can't buy a good car. Alot of mortgages are over $1000 a month, car payments are easily $300, so that's $1300 per month not including regular expenses. My expenses each month are easily another $1000 (food, gas, diapers for baby, electric bill, water bill, etc.) minimum wage being $5.25 right now you would make $840 gross per month. That doesn't even cover the expenses.

This is a really dangerous policy I think for the future. Just doing the math, then taking into account inflation.

• freydi
    freydi

It's really sick. The further you get away from the control the worse it looks.

• joelbear69
    joelbear69

deciding not to go to college is a huge gamble in this day and age.
    even more so than it was for us of the 1975 generation.

today's young people face a world where there is much more competition
    for jobs and without an education, well, there just won't be any jobs
    for them.

we live in the technological age where skills are needed that are simply
    not taught in high school. in general, kids are not getting as much
    education in high school as we did 30 years ago.

what really angers me is that the ones who will listen to this are
    generally the one's who need the extra education the most.

I left home and went to college in my 20's. My parents would simply
    not allow me to go while I was at home. I ended up with a successful
    career in Consulting. I never partied. I studied by behind off
    and graduated with a 4.0 average.

the end was supposed to come when I was 17. I will turn 50 next year.
    I know many who I grew up with who still struggle to just get by.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit