Put Christ back in Christmas

by free2beme 22 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I'm trying my darnedest this year to put the "x" back into "xmas".

• White Dove
    White Dove
    I'm celebrating Yule this year. It has everything Christmas has except Christ. Let's all be thankful for what nature has given us and welcome the sun's growing light! Life is reborn on Yule. Let's celebrate new beginnings while shedding the sludge of the previous year.
  • Awakened07
    Awakened07

I'm not so sure...

Shouldn't we also put the bomp back in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp, and the ram in the ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong - not to speak of the bop in the bop-she-bop-she-bop and the dip in the dip-de-dip-de-dip ?

As it is, all we have is a-a a-lam-a-ding-dong she-she de-de. It's a travesty.

And who's gonna put the 's' back in Christmass? No one seems interested in that.

I have all these very important questions.

• Grammy
    Grammy
    I think we should see Christmas as the holiday to give gifts, put up decorations, eat a good meal with family and friends and screw all religious connections.

freetobeme, that's how I have always felt about Christmas

Merry Christmas!

• eclipse
    eclipse

Merry Xmas

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I celebrated Roccomas on Sept. 29 to commemorate the third hatchday of the Great Bird God, Rocco. He rejoiced when offered the sacrifice of a hazelnut cake topped with whipped cream!

All other festivals, Christian or Pagan, pale in comparison to this most Holy of days!

W

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Can we just agree to say that let get rid of Happy Holidays, seasons greetings and say Merry Christmas! So many people want to be politically correct afraid to offend non-christians. I celebrate Christmas as a time of Jesus' birth, and a time to be happy, merry and get and give lots of presents.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Merry Christmas, Andre.

• UU Now
    UU Now
    Can we just agree to say that let get rid of Happy Holidays, seasons greetings and say Merry Christmas!

Since you asked, no, we can't. Or at least I won't.

So many people want to be politically correct afraid to offend non-christians. I celebrate Christmas as a time of Jesus' birth, and a time to be happy, merry and get and give lots of presents.

I'll happily say Merry Christmas to you and to any and all who celebrate that holiday. But if I don' t know what holiday someone celebrates, why shouldn't I use a less specific greeting? And if I know they don't celebrate Christmas, what's the point of wishing them a merry one? It has nothing to do with political correctness. It has everything to do with courtesy and common sense.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I don't know about elsewhere, but in Canada we have a statutory holiday on the 25 of December and it's called Christmas. There's no reason for me to call it anything else. If someone doesn't like the name of the day they should lobby the government to call it something else. Until then, I'll continue to say "Merry Christmas" and if someone chooses to take offense I am more than willing to say "f*ck off" instead. It's got fewer syllables and therefore requires less effort on my part.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit