Who's celebrating Yule?

by White Dove 15 Replies latest social family

• White Dove
    White Dove

Darkuncle, Where in WA are you? I'm from Vancouver.

I enjoy the honest celebration of Yule so much more than the forced commercialized Christmas celebration because of the focus on nature and it's rhythms. I love to acknowledge what so obviously is keeping everyone, my loved ones, and me alive and happy. Nature has it all and should be noticed and thanked. It just feels so right to me. There was no hocus-pocus at all or any other weirdness.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Darkuncle, Where in WA are you? I'm from Vancouver.

I enjoy the honest celebration of Yule so much more than the forced commercialized Christmas celebration because of the focus on nature and it's rhythms. I love to acknowledge what so obviously is keeping everyone, my loved ones, and me alive and happy. Nature has it all and should be noticed and thanked. It just feels so right to me. There was no hocus-pocus at all or any other weirdness.

• alias
    alias

I went to a Winter Solstice Celebration tonight. Not quite the Yule, but it was enjoyable.

alias

• White Dove
    White Dove
    What did you do there?
  • alias
    alias

White Dove,

We read several reflections, meditated, shared experiences, and discussed the "darkness" of the season. We did this in front of a roaring crackling fireplace fire with light, joyful Christmas music playing in the background. One participant read a reflection about the Yule too.

While there I was thinking about how wonderfully metaphoric, symbolic, and reflective the experience was and rich with sharing and learning. It was so raw and authentic. It was very comfortable and life-expanding. At one point I sipped on hot apple cider and enjoyed the moment, knowing that this celebration, this time of reflecting and seeing beyond the surface is so significant for me, right now.

alias

• liberatedwoman
    liberatedwoman

I will observe it by attending the annual Veterans for Peace concert in my town. It is always full of wonderful music, and humor (some political, some just downright silly) and is held on Solstice each year. The Vets for Peace organization figures that if those who have served and seen combat can't state their opinions about war, who can? It is a powerful and emotional occassion - and my only holiday "must do".

As a solitary practitioner, I do not engage in any ritual - just observe the wheel of the year turning as an internal devotion.

Lynne

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit