I am still a JW, what shall i do?

by nevaagain 29 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi Neva

You wrote: <I still believe that the JWs have the right religion but prefer doing other things instead.>

That was the trap that kept me in bondage to them for years while I did <other things>.

Why did I believe they have the <right religion>? What objective proof did I have? Or is that just their doctrine? I finally started to prove the Jehovah’s Witnesses are who they say they are. That is, the committee speaking for god. Since they base their claims on the Lutheran version of the bible, I read it. But why did they not choose the Catholic version? It has much more historical credibility to me.

Why not just use the Hebrew bible like Jesus did? Is it credible? I found that by reading the bibles without Watch Tower glasses I saw different principles than I was taught by the Witnesses.

Then came secular history and research into Judaism. The Jewish historians claim the Jews created god in their own image rather than the gods creating the humans. This I could bear out in other research as well. The article titled <The Bible> in the Encyclopedia Britannica humanized the Bible for me.

The book, The Age Of Reason by Thomas Paine highlights conflicts inherent in the sacred writings. I tried reconciliation of those conflicts and failed to come to any other realization than this. The sacred writings are all 100% human in nature.

Man created god in his image? Religion is man made, human in nature and used for the purpose of controlling other humans?

Sort of offers a fresh perspective on things for me.

Wish you well on your journey.

gb

• ballistic
    ballistic

Of course I still believe some things I did as a Witness! You can't disregard every single piece of information, some of which is well founded. But I have disregarded the entire ORGANISATION.
    It took me 8 years to recover fully from the mind control that the whole machine exercises upon itself. Now I can look back and see that the world is a bigger place and God is not so small minded as the witnesses make out.

• gotcha
    gotcha

hey neva...i'm also in that situation right now..21 reporting 1 hr or so a month and kinda regular in sunday mtgs but rarely on midweek...

the thing is that....how will u know if a religion is true if you havent even verified it by looking at other religions (which they dont allow)..what i mean is that we think of other religions as easy and shallow religions but when u get to know their theology..some are even better than what the jws teach... for example when doing biblical exegesis...i mean it makes more sense than the 'usual' interpretation that jws are doing (if they have some unique teachings most are questionable)

another thing is that i feel that most jws operate in fear...instead of realizing the value in the good that they do...they do good because they fear being punished...(maybe im wrong but it seems to be that) like what i'm doing right now...even if i dont want to go door to door because im not even sure if what we're teaching is right i still go because i don't want to hurt my mom....that's why there's no room for growth for me in this religion because i just do things coz i need to not because i find value in it...

if jws are really true i think they should encourage people to check out what others are saying about them instead of saying that there are 'apostates' attacking...i mean if you're not guilty of something you'd want to face all your accusers and answer them with a straight face...

• DIM
    DIM

nevaagain -

please feel free to email me at Homer [email protected]

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Neva,

You have a lot to think about. One, is your own future. Do you plan to get a good education? Have you considered how to make a living for a family if you don't?

You seem open to ideas. Many who have responded here left for reasons of freedom from oppression. My reason is very different (many others have it too).

Short bio: I was a JW for 28 years and read the bible cover-to-cover 5 times in the past 6 years. Never missed a magazine article and read each of the JW books at least twice. Some 4 times.

The beginning of my questions:
    1. The distinct difference between the Hebrew and Greek scriptures with regard to demons. In the Hebrew, there's nary a mention of demons and especially demon-possession. The Greek scriptures are full of them.

2. The existence of predatory dinasours. According to the Awake and other sources, no humans existed in the days of the dinasours. Bible implies violence in nature due to Adam's sin (Gen. 1:30 all creation ate vegetation). However--and this is the fatal flaw IMO--dinasours were NOT all vegetation-eaters. Adam's sin had nothing to do with it. Why would a loving God design such a vicious, suffering-filled existence for the animals? That would be a paradise?

SO, I started my own investigation and read books about evolution NOT written by the WTBS. I left immediately, embarrassed I had wasted so much time as a JW and I hadn't double-checked their info by reading even one book by a scientist expert in biology and evolution.

I suffered because of my credulity for 28 years. Don't waste your valuable time and energies because you're too lazy or afraid to make your own search.

As others have stated, the proof against the WTBS-recommended way of life is abundant in their own history and the history of the Bible. There are many archeological proofs for the Hebrews' borrowing their religious beliefs from surrounding nations.

If you are interested, please e-mail me and I'll give you a list of the books I have read.

Your entire future depends on the decisions you make. Don't wait till you're a grandparent like me to do the proper investigation

Sincerely,
    Pat

• Nowfree
    Nowfree

Guten Tag Nevaagain,

I was bought up as a JW, my dad was a local Elder. My family were really part of the congregation, for some 20 years, not on the fringes.

Then my daughter was born 3 years ago with severe health problems – and the issue of blood transfusions arose.

From that point on I could not accept that if there is a God, he is willing to let people die because of refusing blood.

I spoke to Surgeons, Paediatricians and Psychiatrists about the issue of blood transfusions and the issue of the mind control used by the Society.
    I researched the topic. Looking back through the Watchtower publications over the last century, the Watchtower, Bible and Tract Society (WTBTS) have changed their minds on numerous occasions:

1874 to 1949 - The Society ignored the “abstain from blood”
    Why was the rule promulgated in 1945 and not earlier (since blood transfusion were already in use at the beginning of this century)?

1950 - it is basically the transferring of blood that is the key issue and all blood transfusions INCLUDING FRACTIONS AND COMPONENTS to be refused

1984 – Bone marrow transplants (producing red blood cells and containing red blood cells, are up to your conscience.)

1990- Ruling out whole blood, packed red blood cells and plasma, as well as white blood cells and platelets. But now COMPONENTS, such albumin, immune globulins (which contain antibodies extracted from the blood of another person) and haemophiliac preparations are now up to your conscience.

So taking the above into account, consider this as ONE example –

A conscientious JW back in the 1960’s would have refused ALL BLOOD FRACTIONS AND COMPONENTS, believing this to be God’s teaching on the matter. And the chances are that that conscientious JW would have died.

However, if that conscientious JW had lived barely 30 years later, they could reasonably have accepted transfusion of COMPONENTS. They would have a good chance of survival.

Then I asked myself –

IF THIS RELIGION IS REALLY GOD’S ORGANISATION ON THE EARTH, THEN THE BELIEFS AND DOCTRINES THAT THE RELIGION RIGIDLY IMPOSES ON ITS FOLLOWERS WOULD BE RIGHT FIRST TIME?

THERE WOULD BE NO MISTAKES.

THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR “NEW LIGHT”.

I decided that I could not in all conscience remain as a Jehovah’s Witness, nor allow my daughter to be brought up as a Jehovah’s Witness. My parents decided the same.

Unfortunately, my husband and his family did not agree – saw nothing wrong in the JW teachings. My marriage ended. I lost people that I thought were my friends within the organisation.

However, I am happier now that I have left the organisation, I am free of the mind control that I CANNOT agree with. I have found new REAL friends outside of the organisation, that show unconditional friendship.

So yes, there will repercussions from those within the organisation.

But you will find that you are a happier person once you have made the decision and taken the step of leaving the organisation.

Don’t ignore the doubts that are nagging away inside your heard. Listen to them. Do some real research into the organisation, and not just using Society publications. They do NOT give the true picture.

DO NOT LET THE ELDERS WITHIN YOUR CONGREGATION OR YOUR FAMILY MAKE YOU FEEL GUILTY ABOUT ASKING INTELLIGENT QUESTIONS.

And well done for even starting to have doubts!! You are almost free.

Nowfree

• Francois
    Francois

Dear Neva:

I see that you have only a little English. I would like to answer your questions. You can send questions to my mail (see the envelope on the left side of the screen? Click that to send mail). And I will try to answer your questions.

Frank

• rhett
    rhett

I believe pretty much nothing that the JW taught. I was born and raised in it too. Why do I not believe any of thier crap? Don't believe in the bible and especially not their weird twisted version of it.

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• rhett
    rhett

Don't believe that just because Jesus said that you would be prosecuted that prosecution due to the JW's warped belief means that you are following him. What he meant was that evil doers would treat him and his followers badly due to the fact that they are exposing their bad deads. There is a big difference there. I treat dog poop that I step in badly because of its actions too. Doesn't mean that its following Jesus.
    Also, what's with this "Oh, this is to simple to be true" bit? There is one very simple scientific rule that says the simplest answer is the best answer. This applies to religion as well. In fact, the thought is one that really made me stop believeing in the bible is that if whatever form of god you may believe in really did speak to human kind why didn't he/she/it do it more clearly and loudly? You don't see little signs on some but not all hazardous materials do you? No, of course not! The people who make the chemicals make it loud and clear what is in them. Don't you think god would do the same?

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy
    IF THIS RELIGION IS REALLY GOD’S ORGANISATION ON THE EARTH, THEN THE BELIEFS AND DOCTRINES THAT THE RELIGION RIGIDLY IMPOSES ON ITS FOLLOWERS WOULD BE RIGHT FIRST TIME? --Nowfree

Exactly.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit