Cain and Abel

by White Dove 7 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove
    Where did Abel get the idea to put something on an alter and offer it to God? I always wondered where Abel got the idea to kill a little baby animal and burn the carcas as a gift to God? I would have zapped Abel on the spot before he could kill the poor creature in his care.
  • Farkel
    Farkel

: Where did Abel get the idea to put something on an alter and offer it to God? I always wondered where Abel got the idea to kill a little baby animal and burn the carcas as a gift to God? I would have zapped Abel on the spot before he could kill the poor creature in his care.

Good question. Another one is, why didn't anyone tell Cain that God was a God who craved blood, gore and violence and demanded murder and sacrifices to satisfy his lust for blood? I mean look what God demanded from Abraham to prove his loyalty?

Farkel

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

.. or maybe it's all a twisted fairy-tale?

• changeling
    changeling

Yeah, I've posted about this before. Why was Abel's sacrifice better than Cain's? Why was god so picky? Does he not like vegetables?

changeling

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Many bible stories never seemed right to me.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I agree that it is a fable. But even fables provide background info. The best seanachie can weave a story for days. What is the point of the Cain and Abel story anyway?

momz

• White Dove
    White Dove
    That's good. I will view it through my pagan eyes and find the lesson in the fable. It's better to give a horrible gift to someone with a good heart than to give a wonderful gift to someone with a bad heart. No matter the gift, the motive will be clear. How's that?
  • DT
    DT

This story about God's thirst for blood makes me wonder if he was mad at Cain for killing Abel or for not burning him as a sacrifice,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit