Here's the reason for the 3% jump in publishers for the past year

by sir82 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

Absolutely!! My parents were new to the United kingdom when they fell into the 'love bombing' trap! They then dragged my aunt and Uncle in, equally new immigrants! The JWs appeared to be a loving bunch of people! Little did they know that they had jumped into a lunatic cult!

• BBOARD
    BBOARD

I had a hunch their numbers were either iflated or came from new immigrants.

Those not speaking the language, desperate to quickly try and learn it from somebody, or not knowing too many, if any, people in the new country THESE are people "ripe for the harvest" (JW Term) to convert. They know little if anything about this cult and will think they are truly loved, cared for, and have at last found the true organization Jehovah God is using. Keep in mind many, many immigrants have heard of JW's if by name only and quite a few more are of some denomination of Christianity AKA Christendom. If one of the first people these people meet are JWs and they are the love-bombing kind, and not the cliquish kind, this may be very appealing to me.

• mah319
    mah319

Hi mostly a lurker here. Never been a witness nor any of my family. But many times over the years they have tried to recruit me. At work , my home on the street. I guess i have a invisisble sign attracting them. Anyways i think there is something to this post regarding immigrants. I was born and raised here in the U.S. of Mexican heritage and speak no spanish ( you may be suprised how many of us dont ). Well a couple of times a few years ago mexican wtnesses have come to my door. They asked in perfect english if my home was a spanish speaking only household and if any one lived there who only spoke spanish. When i replied no they immediately turned and walked away. It was a pleasant surprise to not have to listen to their preaching. I could never just shut the door on anyone.But wondered we both speak english why did they not even try. It occured to me that they are going after immigrants more aggressively. Over the years the more new immigrants in my neighborhood the more the witnesses came around. I am sure they are having alot of growth with mexican immigrants just as they did with 4th , 5th generation americans in the early 70s. Just my personal observations. Thanks for listening.

• Marjorie
    Marjorie
    If only us apostates could warn them

Could we make up our own tracts in Spanish warning them of the danger?

"LOS TESTIGOS DE JEHOVA SON MUY PELIGROSOS'' Something like that.

• sir82
    sir82
    They asked in perfect english if my home was a spanish speaking only household and if any one lived there who only spoke spanish. When i replied no they immediately turned and walked away.

They were conducting a "census". The territories of English-speaking and Spanish-speaking congregations oftern overlap. So as not to annoy people any more than is necessary, the Spanish JWs typically don't offer a presentation if they encounter someone who speaks only English, since they figure an English JW will be there soon enough. And of course most English-speaking JWs can't make a presentation in Spanish, so there is minimal double-witnessing.

The Spanish folks have territory cards like everyone else, but it will list only the homes where Spanish-speakers are known to live. How do they know where they live? They take a "census" as described above. Whenever they encounter someone not previously marked down as speaking Spanish, they update the territory card.

In very transient areas, they may do a census every few years.

• aniron
    aniron

Immigration would seem one reason for the increase.

I know someone wrote to me a while ago from down London way, and mentioned that many Polish JW's had joined his congregation.

• mah319
    mah319

sir 82, regarding the census. Thanks for the answer. Its funny. i have to talk to former witnesses to get honest questions answered. Everytime i had a question for a witness their answer would be a verse from their bible.

• changeling
    changeling

Makes sense.

changeling

• Rooster
    Rooster

Has there been a baby boom? The witnesses are Fu#*ing each other all the time!

• steve2
    steve2
    Has there been a baby boom?

Actually, given the huge dropout rate, I don't think the baby boom reliably produces a larger number of active JWs. In the late 1970s and early 80s, local witness women were having lots of babies. I think it was a trend among witnesses in New Zealand. The noise in the congregations was unbearable: Either children crying and screaming or parents taking them outside and hitting them. Peaceful it was not. Most of these babies grew up and left the religion.

I think it's an easy bet that third world immigrants are a more reliable source of "increase" than those born into the religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit