Here's the reason for the 3% jump in publishers for the past year

by sir82 41 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

It is immigration that explains the vast majority of the increase.

Who is it that immigrates? The poorest of the poor, the desperate ones that would be dead from starvation or execution by gangs/guerillas within 5 years anyway. These were not the ones being converted in their home countries - when you have to work 14-18 hours a day, 7 days a week just to feed your family, there is no time to "study", attend meetings, go out in field servce, etc.

So, they go to their new country. They can work a "mere" 8-12 hours a day and earn a year's salary (by their country of origin's standards) in a few weeks. For the first time ever in their lives, they have free time on the weekends, maybe even a few free weeknights.

Now here come Joe and Suzy Need-Greater offering them magazines in their own language - the first printed things in their own language they've seen since arriving. Joe and Suzy offer to take them to this Sunday's meeting, where they are "love-bombed" into an instant community of dozens of people exactly like themselves.

It's a highly appealing offer, and quite successful. It is why the WTS is emphasizing over and over for publishers to learn another language and change to a foreign-language congregation. Witnessing to recent immigrants is the one and only perfect setup for the Witness model of door-to-door preaching.

So long as there are economic imbalances in the world and lax enforcement of immigration policies, expect to see similar increases in the years to come.

Of course, there will soon be new, different problems. All these recent converts lack "spiritual maturity" so there will not be enough elders to govern the flock. Many are "illegal immigrants", and so can't serve as elders or MS. Watch for a spate of "Brothers, you should be reaching out" articles over the next 5 years.

But for now, the WTS will crow contentedly about "Jah's rich blessings" and the rest of their usual claptrap.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I'm guess this topic is all within the context of growth in the US?

When I still attended meetings it was easy to notice that there was a slow but steady stream of direction coming from the org that US publishers could "reach out" by learning a new language. In the context of their growth in the United States there is no question that they wish to capatilize on that section of the population. It's just a guess but i'm sure the same thing is also being pushed in other countries with large populations of immigrants (i.e Great Britian, France).

Of course one thing to remember is that the Watchtower primarily would want to go after Christian immigrants. People who already have affiliation with a christian denomination. They don't do so well in converting masses of people from religions that don't share basic christian ideals and concepts (especially Islam).

• minimus
    minimus

Actually, I NEVER thought those stats were on the level. Why would anyone expect them to be???

• sir82
    sir82

I'm guess this topic is all within the context of growth in the US?

While I am a Mongolian citizen I spend a lot of time in the US, so I wrote the above with that country in mind.

However, the principle applies to any country where people immigrate to for a better standard of living. Huge waves of immigrants, legal and otherwise, is not a "US only" issue. All over Europe, really any "first world" country where immigration enforcement is lax, would have the same situation.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That sure can explain a good chunk of the problem. And, unlike the fake time slips and the children getting pushed to baptism at age 6, this is going to be a potential long-term problem for us apostates. And since much of it here is Spanish, and the Internet in this country is largely English, there is a language barrier for those who speak Spanish that become witlesses.

Now, if only we could translate this forum into Spanish... but then it won't do much good if those people are so dirt poor that they cannot afford to pay $500 or so for a computer and $15 or so for Internet ($40 for broadband). That is what keeps them uninformed about the Watchtower Society. If only us apostates could warn them of the scam that is going to suck the money and time they have found and siphon it all into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund--and translate that NBC Pedophile Report into Spanish, we might make a dent in those numbers.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Good analysis.

• blondie
    blondie

One CO admitted that the increase was among the hispanic population in the US; that without it, there would be a decrease in publishers. But remember the increase in Japan that was paraded out every KM? Where is Japan now?

Blondie

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Immigration?

Yes.

Great post.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

EEEYUP! Dey it is! I have always wondewred about the stats that the wts puts out. But, as you know, they have always gotten there rocks off by putting out numbers. For those of us here, we all did it ourselves, fudging our own service slips so that we wouldn't be asked the BIG question? UUUUH brother? You could be devoting more time to the field circus, we would like to advance you in the cong.

• steve2
    steve2

Wow! Look here! Guess how many Muslims have converted to the Watchtower? Ummmm, hardly any. Little wonder Jws as with other smaller groups focus on non-Muslims, and Christian immigrants in particular.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit