So is it Evolution or Creation

by Punk 85 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Some scientific theories include the theory of evolution, the theory of relativity, the atomic theory, and the quantum theory. All of these theories are well documented and proved beyond reasonable doubt. Yet scientists continue to tinker with the component hypotheses of each theory in an attempt to make them more elegant and concise, or to make them more all-encompassing. Theories can be tweaked, but they are seldom, if ever, entirely replaced.

All of these theories are well documented and proved beyond reasonable doubt.

So was Newtonian gravitation as I recall. But then there was that pesky transit of Mercury...

Burn

• inkling
    inkling
    Macro-evolution is a fantastical myth unsupported by observation.

could you please, simply and precisely, define what you mean by "macro" evolution as opposed to micro?

I see it as a continuum, not a dichotomy. I ask you, where is the line?

---

As for "hearing the other side", I HAVE read "Darwin's Black Box", and I have spent
    many many hours at AiG and other similar sources.

I have also read very powerful and articulate rebuttals to nearly every argument
    ventured, and I am in the middle of carefully weighing the evidence.

I also find it interesting that Michael Behe BELIEVES IN MACRO EVOLUTION! Yes, HE
    only draws the line at certain microscopic machines, but on every thing else in the
    animal kingdom he accepts the Darwin model INCLUDING that we came from apelike
    ancestors
    . Is he really someone you want to claim for your side?

[inkling]

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks, Burn.

I'm just trying to figure it all out.

Every little bit is helpful.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Arent we all? ;-)

Hey Nvr, it must suck being in construction right now. I hope you have enough work!

I know so many people in dire straits locally.

Burn

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

So was Newtonian gravitation as I recall. But then there was that pesky transit of Mercury...

Burn

An excerpt from Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time":

"In practice, what often happens is that a new theory is devised that is really an extension of the previous theory. For example, very accurate observations of the planet Mercury revealed a small difference between its motion and the predictions of Newton’s theory of gravity. Einstein’s general theory of relativity predicted a slightly different motion from Newton’s theory. The fact that Einstein’s predictions matched what was seen, while Newton’s did not, was one of the crucial confirmations of the new theory. However, we still use Newton’s theory for all practical purposes because the difference between its predictions and those of general relativity is very small in the situations that we normally deal with. (Newton’s theory also has the great advantage that it is much simpler to work with than Einstein’s!)"
  • nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Hey Nvr, it must suck being in construction right now. I hope you have enough work!

I know so many people in dire straits locally.

It's fine.

But I appreciate the concern.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Genesis is not about the HOWS, but the WHYS. Scripture is not so much about history or science but of the story of human redemption.

Exactly. IMHO, the WTS's foray into the scientific field and the resultant debacle vis a vis the Creation/Evolution books illustrates this too well.

The God of the Bible is all about reclaiming or redeeming His creation. He couldn't care less about our pontificating on the nuts and bolts of it.

As stated above, just my humble/honest opinion.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Thanks awakened.

Hawkings is a big in my book!

Burn

• inkling
    inkling
    “He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” -Albert Einstein

And if I had the "courage" to believe that the earth is flat, would that gain the approval of Mr. Einstein?

[ink]

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Derek,

I don't want anybody to think that I'm debating you as an equal, that your opinion is one that is as valid as mine, and worth a prolonged discussion. I want it to be very obvious that I consider your clinging to creationism in the face of (literal) mountains of evidence to be a mistake almost equal in magnitude to believing the earth is flat. I want it understood that I consider your beliefs in this matter to be worthy of ridicule and derision.

lol....Poor Derek has stumbled into the dense and gloomy Forest Of BA, where even the slow-worms are brighter than its owner.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit