Small dog owners...please take note

by restrangled 32 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

We just had a horrible episode in our back yard. As most of you know I have two Warlock Dobermans. They are very large and powerful. They are always behind a 7 foot fence and have never, and I repeat never been loose.

This evening a small neighborhood dog squeezed in under that fence after our cat. The cat jumped to the top of the fence and my dogs were on that little fellow (in their own territory) faster than you can blink.

I called them off and they instantly responded, but I am sure the poor little dog has puncture wounds that are very deep. He was screaming. Dobermans have mouths like crocodiles or called a scissor bite and can inflict horrible damage. They tear as they bite. The little fellow ran back under the fence and we don't know who he belongs to or how he is.

Please, please as cute as your small dog is, he can create trouble and needs to be on a leash at all times. Even if you are outside with him. I have had more small dogs rush these boys than you can imagine. While they are on double leashes, choke chains etc., small dogs come rushing from their yards looking for a fight.

r.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Poor little guy. I don't have much experience with dogs. My son's family has a big dog that's part doberman, but she is so gentle and sweet. If that happened in their yard, she would just run up to the little fellow and sniff him. She won't even hurt a cat. She thinks everything is a playmate. Hope the little guy recuperates.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Journey on....mine are also gentle and sweet, licking our cat and always making sure she is OK. She has swatted them to no end when they get too sniffey. They yelp and walk off.

When they need to go out in the middle of the night they come and lick my nose in my sleep and if I don't respond flip the blankets off of me with their nose.

But if a strange dog was to come into your son's dog's own premises without being introduced, it would not surprise me if the Doberman in that dog took over.

r.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Did you report this incident to the police or animal control yet?

Where they able to track him down from your description, locate the owner, get him to a vet right away?

Or is this unfortunate creature still on the loose, suffering from deep puncture wounds?

~Sue

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

aint it always the truth........ the smaller the dog is physically............ the meaner and more bad a$$ it thinks it is.

now my mother owned a kennel.......... and had over 75 breeders at her peak.........so guess who had to take care of them. plus she had persian cats........... which i despised(its different if its your personal well groomed pet). over the years we have had several dogs go where they shouldnt.......... and never return, so i really dont have much sympathy for the little runt....... hope he learned his lession and wont be back.......

my mother also in the height of her folly........... got a "good deal" on some dalmations and other BIG dogs........ she never had good health and was carrying around enough extra weight that she barely could keep up with the medium and small dogs she had......... no reasonable explaination for getting something BIGGER.

the male dalmation......... had a head shaped like a pitt............. so that good deal...... yeah right paying a reasonable full blood price for a mix........... well he had to be kept on a chain cause none of the runs could hold him................... I built the runs for MY personal Siberian Huskies......... so they were nice and big enough.... but this dog could CLIMB out.

this dog would allow the cats to roam around and get JUST inside his chains reach.................. then POOF no more cat............ now i like cats........ as i said...... in moderation..... but i cant say i wasnt amused when after the third one was CONSUMED by him................. and my mom kept gripeing.......... i was like........... ok THAT dalmation by HIMSELF eats more than my 6 huskies...... and you KNOW hes gonna eat any cat that gets near him............ so WHY are you still keeping him?

so mom aquired some normal mixed blood cats to keep mice out of the dog food........ and then the dog kept them undercontrol lol............. i bet he ate a dozen cats over the couple of years mom kept him......... and she would always gripe and i would say.............. WHY do you still have him........ its YOUR fault for keeping him because its his NATURE to EAT them.

• dinah
    dinah

I do have a small dog, he stays inside. This dog got dumped, so rather than just let him die, I took him in (that was 8 years ago). I prefer big dogs--my dream is to have a full blooded German Shepard. They are loving, loyal and great protection. I love Rottweilers too, they are big babies----UNTIL you get in their territory.

I had a shepard mix growing up and I WAS his territory. No stranger could come near me. He sat between me and my boyfriends and I had to go inside if the guy came to read the power meter. I got him when I was 14, he passed when I was 28. I miss that dog. He was my best friend. Once a guy I went to high school with was hooking up cable television to our house. He asked me for something to drink. When he took a step toward me to get the glass from my hand, the dog went off. I had to leave it on the picnic table and go inside. Then he was allowed to pick up the glass.

I love dogs.

• JH
    JH
    after our cat.

I didn't think that a cat a 2 dobermans could live together. If so, that cat has 2 good friends.

• dinah
    dinah

Most dogs don't really have a problem with cats as long as the cat BELONGS there. My dogs love my cat and they take naps together.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Here is the deal with big Dobes....they love people, and want to be next to you all the time. Someone comes into the house and the owner is relaxed you are part of the pack. You hug that person, expect a Dobe to check that situation big time. My boys have been known to jump the hugger, put their feet on their shoulders and let them know...I am watching my human. They don't like any fast moves.

If another animal invades their space, its a dead animal. I know its horrible but these boys are princes in my eyes. We spend a tremendous amount of money keeping them clean, vaccinated, licensed, etc., etc.,

They love the cat, may get to nosey once in awhile and get slapped, but they consider her part of the family pack.

r.

• dinah
    dinah

Restrangled, remind me to be relaxed if we ever meet! I hear ya though. I love dogs, they can usually sense that. I gotta admit Doberman's are a little different. I've never owned one, don't really think I can handle the responsibility.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit