I think I am an Atheist (current JW)

by Robert7 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Armageddon Dad
    Armageddon Dad

Robert, I think your goals regarding the Sunday meeting is a good goal to pacify your family while keeping the elders at bay. You are not alone in this situation. Some have already commented here. I think you will be okay.

Re others comments about Agnostic.

I like being Agnostic, I can change my mind to fit the situation. i.e. I'm a non-Jw father whos son lives with his Jw mother and Jw stepfather for the last 10 years. I have survived well so far with regards to my son wanting to see me and him not wanting to be a Jw.

I agree Agnosticism is sitting on the fence. And it is a pain in the rear because it keeps people guessing what I truly believe and it also avoids anyone labelling me, including the Jws.

However going back to Roberts situation which has nothing to do with what religion or faith he should be or not. He should still "pretend" in being a Jw for the sake of him and his family. As we all know, the WTBS does not cater well for ex Jws.

• mavie
    mavie

First of all, welcome.

18 or so months ago I was in a similar position. Baptized at 17, married to a JW who was happy in the religion. An entire family of JW's. I was an MS and an example in the congregation.

I left the JW's after about a month of deep research. It was obvious to me they didn't have 'the truth', something I think you have seen for yourself.

I divorced my wife, left my family, left my friends behind. It was difficult, but the best decision I ever made.

My only advice for you would be to continue your research and follow your heart. Only you can know what is right for you. Feel free to ask for help if you need it.

• Robert7
    Robert7

For anyone who is interested... here's an update...

The last 2 months since I left the JW faith has been a really big roller coaster ride on my and my marriage. My wife initially looked at me like I went mad, exactly as programmed by the JWs. After having some rational conversations, and after she found my COC book, she actually has pulled her mind outside the borg, and actually agrees with a lot of my issues!

She currently is active because of social ties, the congregation being her only friendship. Plus she feels like based on what she knows of the bible, the JWs are at least pretty close. I don't agree, but I am respecting it.

I personally am non-religious. I currently do not believe in the existance of the god of the bible. I don't believe the Bible is the word of god, but a compilation of history and myths. If there is a god, he does not actively affect our lives.

I personally think that it is impossible for anyone to know the answers that religion is supposed to answer. No one knows why we're here, who is god, and what happens when we die. So I feel that people should focus on making this life the best it can be, be kind to others, help others, and what happens after death is unknown to everyone.

I have learned in general to not trust anyone without fair due-dilligence. It is smart and vital that everyone questions things, and not accept things at face value.

So given all this, I am actually happy. I am enjoying life every day without any man-made fears of destruction, armageddon, fear of the 'world', etc. I am reminded life is a journey, and I am embarking on my next step outside the JW faith. I have no idea where it will take me, but I will enjoy the ride, the learning, research, friends, relationships. I know I wigrow and my ideas will change, and I am excited to see where my journies take me....

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself Robert7. Being an atheist can be very freeing. It's like the whole world has opened up for the first time and is ready to be explored from a new angle, one without JW blinders. You are in a good position with your wife. If you still go to meetings on Sunday, you can gently and subtley criticize points that don't make sense. Do it by asking questions that she won't be able to answer it. Don't gloat when she can't. Ask them in a spirit of gentl exploration and curiosity not confrontation. Many have had good results getting their spouses out of the relgion with this technique. Be patient, it takes time.

As you enjoy new activities and make new friends outside of the organization, invite your wife along as much as possible and help her to make new friends also. Then she won't feel she has to stay out of lonliness and isolation. Keep us filled in on how it is going. We love a success story here!

By the way, I disagree about one thing you said. All JW teachings are not harmless. Have you given any thought to what would happen to your wife in a medical emergency? The JW policy on blood kills people every year. It is not harmless! That is one doctrine it is worth researching and knowing backwards and forwards! It could save your life!

Cog

• Robert7
    Robert7

So I still do go on Sundays, but that's it. I do drop hints at times, but I think she's pretty convinced that it's not 'the truth' but to her it's good enough. So actually, there's not much for me to say because at this point she's not ready to leave.

The good thing about my having been weak in the faith for a while, is that my kids are not indoctrinated in the views. For example, they do not see worldly people as dead in Jehovah's eyes. I never believed it, and I never pushed it on the kids. So for now, they are getting some of the good things out of going to the meetings.

We never specifically discussed the blood issue, but I would be honest with how I feel. I would absolutely not support the issue with her or my kids. Life is more valuable than some man-made rule. If it came down to a life/death situation, I'll tell her that the bloodguilt is on me, and she will be fine. Kids aren't baptised, so the rule doesn't apply to them anyway. I hope it never comes to the blood issue, but I bet I could win in court if I had to, since the courts tend to value life over the blood issue (crazy concept).

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I'm glad you're ok. Don't stop figureing it out, but at least now you can take a mental sigh of relief. Have you been talking with your child at all about this? He/she may be relieved to knwo that daddy and mommy don't think the big scary is real. Good luck with the continued effort.

• 5go
    5go

If you are doubting you are a weak atheist. If you are certain your are a strong atheist. If you don't think any one can know god then you are an agnostic. If you still believe in your theology without any facts to prove it you have faith.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

nice to hear from you again. It sounds as though you are doing well on the road out of the org. I'm glad your wife is weakening a bit, too. Someday you'll all be a family together outside the org. I'm really happy for you!

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Great point about the blood Cog.

And Robert - It sounds like you have your head screwed on straight and are making the best out of a delicate situation. I sent you a PM.

Take care!

The Oracle

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

History has shown us that the belief in gods or a god were mainly structured and developed on the basis of human ignorance or the lack of knowledge of the world we live in.

In a counter balance to that known ignorance, scientific discovery and established facts derived from those discoveries has swayed modern man to stop thinking that there are

invisible but powerful spirits swarming around causing climactic damage to humans and inciting fear to the detriment to the population. It does seem to me and probably many

others thats it's better for man to live in a world of continuing knowledge and to work with this knowledge with the intent to better the human experience. It also seems in an

unfortunate way that religious men like the JWS. have utilized and exploited that ancient ignorance and fear to cultivate their own source of power and control, negating the advancement

of man to better his existence along with it. So the question we have to ask are selfs would it be better to let the gods governed and control us or are we better to do it are selfs ?

My vote is on the humans

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit