What are you going to teach your children about relgion?

by reneeisorym 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oompa
    oompa

It is too late....I already impregnated them. One still buys it 100%, and one got the boot so he knows the real deal now......oompa.....If only there were mental abortions.

• rache31
    rache31

I have two young sons. They don't even realize what a JW is or that mommy was one. My husband was never a part of any religion but thinks of himself as spiritual. We'll encourage our boys to love themselves and others. I want them to respect what other people choose to believe, without feeling they are unworthy somehow. So far they have visited a church and a hall with relatives that they stayed overnight with. My family member said from now on the boys' have to come when there's no meeting. Apparently, they embarrassed her. My husband asked what happened and she said that our three year old kept putting his hands over his ears and talking out loud. (gotta love it)

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I don't think I will teach them religion, I will teach them facts and how to use critical thought. If they ask me questions about religion I will answer them but I will not sit down with them and have the "religion talk". I guess i will see how things go, I might change my "strategy" a long the way.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym
    My husband asked what happened and she said that our three year old kept putting his hands over his ears and talking out loud. (gotta love it)

That is priceless! HAHAHA

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I think I'd see the article/study as perhaps highlighting the benefits of family discussion of general philosophical questions. I thought the following point was very interesting

It’s also possible that the correlation between religion and child development is the other way around, he said. In other words, instead of religion having a positive effect on youth, maybe the parents of only the best behaved children feel comfortable in a religious congregation.

“There are certain expectations about children’s behavior within a religious context, particularly within religious worship services,” he said. These expectations might frustrate parents, he said, and make congregational worship “a less viable option if they feel their kids are really poorly behaved.”

Interesting article Renee but it raises a lot of questions too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit