What are you going to teach your children about relgion?

by reneeisorym 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

ism's are bad. m'kay

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

I've been trying to teach my son to be an independant thinker and to make decisions that will make him happy. It's very tough on him, because his real father (sperm donor) is a JW as well as all his family. Most of my family is still in as well. I know he feels as if he has to live a double life when he goes to visit his father or any other family. I've tried to tell him to just be true to hisself and not worry about hurting their feelings if they ask if he does holidays or any other thing they are against. He is so sensitive though and hates the thought of hurting anyone's feelings. Along the lines of him being an independant thinker, I've pretty much left it up to him to decide if he wants to go to a church or not. Since leaving the JW's; I do not belong to any church. I've had a real hard time to even have a relationship with God this past 6 years. It just seems the harder I try to live right, the more bullshit comes my way. We have visited church's from time to time; mostly baptist & methodist and he has really enjoyed the sunday school programs. I have no further interest in attending a church, but whatever makes him happy as he grows up, I will support.

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

for the record: i pretty much agree with trygon here.

• chickpea
    chickpea

with apologies to john prine:

We blew up our TV threw away our paper
    Went to the country, built us a home
    Had a lot of children, fed 'em on peaches
    They all found Jesus on their own

because all of mine are into their teens or beyond, and none have escaped the scourge of the borg that i brought into their lives, i will insert nothing further into their quest for meaning in their lives, except by personal invitation

they are welcome to develop for themselves a personal faith system that meets their needs and offers them a resource and a refuge when those things are necessary in their lives..... after all, the quest is the best part of any mission of discovery

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

If I ever were to have kids, I would teach them what I believe, but I will also encourage them to seek out their own beliefs because I want them to be their own person. Its not fair for me to force my children to believe something that I believe if they don't want to. And I will love them unconditionally no matter what they decide, unlike my parents.

• R.F.
    R.F.

Collegegirl is back! Woohoo! lol

When it comes to my children(if I ever have any), I would teach them what I believe but in the end I would want them to make their own decisions and not go a certain way just because I do so.

• Xena
    Xena

I've told my daughter that no one knows for sure if there is or isn't a god but a lot of people have different belief systems based on their own faith and experiences. If it makes them feel better about their lives then who am I to question it? Bottom line respect other people's beliefs but don't allow them to dictate what you should or shouldn't believe, figure that out for yourself.

We have been to several different churchs, attending here on the island regularly, and she has been involved in a Jewish household, we discuss non christian beliefs and wouldn't mind attending services when and if we come across them. She attended some christian after school meetings, enjoyed them but didn't feel the need to become a christian herself. IMO experience is the best teacher.

• Trygon
    Trygon

WHOA!

for the record: i pretty much agree with trygon here.

This is a first. Trygon and Superfine Apostate have actually agreed on something. Therefore I feel inclined to buy Superfine Apostate a beer.

This could be the start of something big.

Oh and its nice to see that most of the peeps here want to see their children choose after knowing all the facts. It would practically be communism to restrict or discourage your child's knowledge, shun your child's belief or force your own beliefs on your child. As long and you make sure they pick a option that won't wind them up killing themselves, one should let the child decide.

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

lol.. i already opened my 4th beer tonight, but i'll be over to england sometime next year, i'll get back on you ;)

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I have an 8 year old son and I'm not going to teach him s@$t about any religion. I will not teach him about faith. I will not teach him about any of the "isms" that I've heard mentioned here. But I will strive with all my heart to teach him this one thing. How to be an objective, sensitive, and loving person who knows how to think independently. Teaching children anything else is patently absurd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit