Are there a minimum set of core beliefs that all Christians accept?

by nicolaou 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Sad emo,

I applaud the sentiment you express.

Burn

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Mark 8:34-38 - Then he called his disciples and the people around him, and said to them, "If anyone wants to follow in my footsteps, he must give up all right to himself, take up his cross and follow me. The man who tries to save his life will lose it; it is the man who loses his life for my sake and the Gospel's who will save it.

It's passages like this one I'm interested in. Is Jesus actually saying that anyone who does not follow him will lose his life? Is that a teaching at the heart of Christianity? A core belief?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Following Christ imho is a command, but not a core belief - it's more a result of holding the core beliefs in the creed.

Hence the verse you quoted is open to interpretation! Some might take it to mean a literal loss of life, others might not. Also there are differing views on which life he's referring to - physical, spiritual or the effect of the physical upon the eternal spiritual... I could go on, but I won't!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

That's awfully wooly sad emo.

What about baptism? That at the very least must be a core requirement to be defined as a Christian or are some even ready to question that?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    That's awfully wooly

Now you know why we're called sheep!

You're correct on Baptism too - assuming we're talking the water variety, for me it's just an outward sign of commitment, not an essential. There was some group in Acts (can't remember) but they were believers before they had water Baptism.

And then you get the arguments about whether it should be adult or infant, full dunk or sprinkle etc etc...!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    That's awfully wooly

Now you know why we're called sheep!

groan

• Aleman
    Aleman

Baptism is the way to identify real Christians and all others. The actual baptism is done contiously requiring dedication and FAITH.

- Aleman

• Xena
    Xena

Christian is a broad term. You might try narrowing it down to a specific religion within christainity to start.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Nic,

Most of mainstream Christianity accepts Christ's divinity. They also follow his teachings and accept him as their personal savior sent to release them from sin and death.

As far as Bible interpretation, you will find a wide variety of opinions. I personally accept the fact that the bible contains a lot of allegory, not to be taken as literal but that these allegories teach literal truths.

The majority of Christians I know, myself included, recognize that it is not bible interpretation that is the most important evidence of being a follower of Christ. But rather, it is by showing love to others that we are identified as such.

And personally as far as the scriptural text you asked about, I do not take this as literal. I understand "life" as meaning spiritual life. I do not believe in a literal hellfire place but believe "hell" which is the final place of the unrepentent, is a place whearas you will be permamently seperated (spiritually) from God and his love.

Hope this helps a little, Peace be with you, Lilly

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

LovelyLil,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit