Are there a minimum set of core beliefs that all Christians accept?

by nicolaou 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Sorry, I know it's stupid, but I have to mention the big, pink elephant currently in the room:

I doubt all Christians would agree with that creed? Are we saying all Christians have a common, core belief in "the holy Catholic church" and the "communion of saints"?

Good question Awakened. The question becomes: Who gets to define what Christianity is? The JWs say that they are the only "real" Christians, all the others are "false".

After all, a big pink elephant might call itself a small purple mouse, but it does not make it so.

Burn

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

OK, just a very quick question then; are you a Catholic? I'm guessing 'yes'?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    OK, just a very quick question then; are you a Catholic? I'm guessing 'yes'?

The answer would be 'no'. The more honest answer would be "maybe in the future". Burn

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Awakened - 'catholic' in the creed = 'universal', not Roman Catholic so yes, Christians do believe in a catholic/universal church - and coupled with this, it's important to remember that unity DOES NOT NECESSARILY equal uniformity

'communion of saints' is again a statement of unity (not necessarily uniformity) but on an eternal level - the saints here on earth and those in heaven.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

That is correct Sad Emo!

A lot of people get thrown by "catholic".

Burn

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

-I should know better by now than to read words and expect them to mean what I think they mean.

I kid!

You learn something new every day.

However, I still doubt all people who call themselves Christian would agree with that creed.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    'communion of saints' is again a statement of unity (not necessarily uniformity) but on an eternal level - the saints here on earth and those in heaven.

I once heard the communion describing Christians in 3 different places.

The Church Militant--those here on earth.

The Church Penitent--those in purgatory.

The Church Triumphant--those in heaven.

Burn

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

What parts do you think they might disagree with, Awakened?

I think the tenets in there are very general - as I wrote earlier, there's not even anything blatantly Trinitarian (I only just noticed that and I've been reciting it how many years lol, i learnt something today too!!) unlike some of the later adaptations.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Nah, I've read through it a couple of times now and it seems 'general' enough that most Christians would agree with it, actually. Excepting JWs and possibly Mormons(?) and some other more or less fringe groups and individuals, I guess.

Anyway - I'm not sure what I'm doing in this thread; it's nicolaou's thread and I'm sure he had a plan with it. If there are Christians here disagreeing with the mentioned creed (under the current understanding of it), it's their 'job' to say so. If we don't hear anything, I guess at least those who read this could agree.

There's some details about the creed here, btw.

(see, I can play nice sometimes )

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I think you're right that it would be fringe groups who might disagree with parts - although I can't see any reason why they'd want to!

They might not like the 'holy catholic church' part because it would lump them together with all the other 'wayward' 'false' churchesReally, they're just missing that unity not equalling uniformity point I made earlier.

What was it that Paul said? something like "the eye can't say to the ear 'I don't need you because you're not an eye'" *sigh*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit