I Felt So Much Rage !!

by Maddie 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Maddie
    Maddie

I watched the programme on Channel 4 tonight called " The End of World Cult", and had an idea what it would be like but I was still badly affected by it. Perhaps it's the way I am feeling at the moment, but to see the self-named Michael Travesser proclaiming himself to be the Son of God was mortifying. He manipulated his pathetic deciples (mainly women), for his own narsistic perversions, while they obeyed his every whim with glazed expressions. Even though his prophesied doomsday date didn't happen, they still believe in him being the Messiah.

Travesser was an Adventist before he broke away which reminded me of Charles Russell to start with, and everything about it apart from sex with his followers screamed WT at me! There were young people in the cult whose families were trying to get them out and being labelled as demonic for trying to do so.

Do others experience such a strong reaction when watching programmes like this? I felt so much rage!

Maddie

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I felt the same when I saw a recent show on the Jim Jones mass suicide. It's odd, becasue at the time of the Jim Jones thing, I was thinking it was soooo different from my religion. Now 30 years later, I see there are some similarities. What's the difference between drinking the kool-aid and refusing a blood transfusion. You are just as dead either way, and only because someone else decided it was the right think to do.

• shell69
    shell69

Hi Maddie,

I watched this program too. Also noticed the glazed expresions of his followers.

I was painfull to watch, but IMHO, I dont think the dubs are on the same scale as this nut bag.

Maybe dubs are members of a different scale/kind of cult?

Feedback?

Shell69

• scotsman
    scotsman

I just felt immensely sad for them. Particularly his son who looked utterly crushed when it was revealed that his wife and father were sleeping together. I wonder how they'll cope when Armageddon doesn't arrive this Saturday as Michael predicted.

While they bore very distiant similarities with the JWs, they really are a cult of a different magnitude.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

You know almost every major cult leader of the 20th century has ties to the adventist.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but along these lines, some time ago, I came across a somewhat similar story, and it really opened my eyes to the fact that these doomsday cults are abundant, and feel they have proof of their beliefs in the Bible.

This group (below) were "special to me", as they use the name Yahweh.

(please watch all these videos - this group is/was not a joke - well, not in their own mind, anyway - it's a real group and not a "funny hoax", is what I'm trying to say)

It all started out with nuclear ("nucular") world war - end of the world - September 12th 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK36gJH0PHI&feature=related

The warning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ffL-VJtD4&feature=related

This did not happen(!).

However - does such a "minor setback" make an impact? No, of course not. In fact - new light! - it was fulfilled, just not how they thought! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUJxP2iFAZ0&feature=related

Now - things became silent for a while after this.

But then, the "honorable" Yisrayl Hawkins came up with the idea of the "nucular baby". What's that? Well, it meant that - new light! - the nuclear war was not meant to break out on September 12th. 2006 - no, it was meant to start September 12th. 2006 and have a nine month "pregnancy", when the nuclear baby - the actual war - would begin. So - in other words now, June 12th. 2007 was the new date for the end of the world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgcN8E8r-tY&feature=related

Now - if you are awake and alert, you may have noticed we are still here.

The story didn't end there on June 12th either, of course. After this I really didn't care to see where they were going with it anymore, but the last I heard after that was that Yisrayl Hawkins decided that there had to be another 30 days until it would happen.

For all I know, they're still around, following this moron.

And you wonder why I'm negative to the doomsday wackos of this forum?

• Maddie
    Maddie

You know almost every major cult leader of the 20th century has ties to the adventist

Darth - No I didn't know that, but it makes sense because they all predict the end of the world

I just felt immensely sad for them. Particularly his son who looked utterly crushed when it was revealed that his wife and father were sleeping together. I wonder how they'll cope when Armageddon doesn't arrive this Saturday as Michael predicted.

Scotsman - He was desperately clinging to the belief that his father was the Messiah. I thought he looked almost demented.

I watched this program too. Also noticed the glazed expresions of his followers.

I was painfull to watch, but IMHO, I dont think the dubs are on the same scale as this nut bag.

Feedback?

Shell 69 - I know what you mean about Michael Travesser being a nut bag but at the end of the day, all doomsday/armaggedon cults use vulnerable people who believe them, to further their own ends IMO.

I felt the same when I saw a recent show on the Jim Jones mass suicide. It's odd, becasue at the time of the Jim Jones thing, I was thinking it was soooo different from my religion. Now 30 years later, I see there are some similarities. What's the difference between drinking the kool-aid and refusing a blood tranfusion. You are just as dead either way and only because someone else decided it was the right thing to do. LisaRose - I agree with you, there is little difference. The mind control is the same with the WT, they just try to be more subtle about it and therefore more deceptive. Maddie

• Maddie
    Maddie

You know almost every major cult leader of the 20th century has ties to the adventist

Darth - No I didn't know that, but it makes sense because they all predict the end of the world

Scotsman - He was desperately clinging to the belief that his father was the Messiah. I thought he looked almost demented.

Feedback?

Shell 69 - I know what you mean about Michael Travesser being a nut bag but at the end of the day, all doomsday/armaggedon cults use vulnerable people who believe them, to further their own ends IMO.

I felt the same when I saw a recent show on the Jim Jones mass suicide. It's odd, becasue at the time of the Jim Jones thing, I was thinking it was soooo different from my religion. Now 30 years later, I see there are some similarities. What's the difference between drinking the kool-aid and refusing a blood tranfusion. You are just as dead either way and only because someone else decided it was the right thing to do. LisaRose - I agree with you, there is little difference. The mind control is the same with the WT, they just try to be more subtle about it and therefore more deceptive. Maddie
  • LouBelle
    LouBelle

I get too worked up - I'm sure it's bad for my health. I can't sit and watch those kind of programmes. I can't actually even talk anything remotely biblical with ex Jws' that still think it's the troof. ooh no no no

• shell69
    shell69

Maddi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit