Pets - How do you view them? (Bullcrap article by WT)

by skeeter1 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I saw this on the WT official site.....

Now, they can't have too much love for Fido! Enjoyment is EVIL, folks.

Skeeter

Pets

How Do You
    View Them?

Animals

A Gift From God

In this series:

Related topics:

HAVE you ever visited a zoo or a circus? Did you yearn to hold or pet one of the beautiful animals—perhaps a majestic lion or a huge Siberian tiger? You may have been thrilled to see an animal trainer or a caretaker do so. Indeed, a Bible writer nearly 2,000 years ago said: "Every species of wild beast as well as bird and creeping thing and sea creature is to be tamed and has been tamed by humankind."— James 3:7 .

Animals of all kinds respond to loving care and attention. It can indeed be a joy to see them interact with caring humans who have tamed them. Roman writer Pliny, who wrote about the same time as the Bible writer James did, spoke of the taming of elephants, lions, tigers, eagles, crocodiles, snakes, and even fish.

Actually, the taming of animals to become pets goes back to much earlier times. Long before James and Pliny wrote, the Egyptians tamed wild animals and kept them as pets. Today many animals you find in a zoo can also be found in homes in some places.

Wild animals such as these have been tamed

Early Relationship With Humans

The Bible, the earliest record of human history, reports that the first man, Adam, gave names to the animals. "Whatever the man would call it," the Bible says, "each living soul, that was its name. So the man was calling the names of all the domestic animals and of the flying creatures of the heavens and of every wild beast of the field." ( Genesis 2:19, 20 ) Evidently, Adam became thoroughly acquainted with the animals in order to name them appropriately. But he needed no protection—even from the wild ones. They were at peace with him, and how he must have enjoyed their companionship!

God charged both Adam and his wife, Eve, with care of the animals. According to God's purpose as declared in the Bible, humans were to "have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and the domestic animals and all the earth and every moving animal that is moving upon the earth."— Genesis 1:26 .

Israelite shepherds treated lambs with tender compassion

A Continuing Close Relationship

When people exercise proper dominion over animals, the result can be heartwarming. A beloved animal may be viewed as a treasured companion, even as part of the family. That this was true thousands of years ago is seen in the account in the Bible about a poor man's "one female lamb, a small one." The prophet Nathan told King David about the lamb, saying regarding the poor man: "From his morsel [the lamb] would eat, and from his cup it would drink, and in his bosom it would lie, and it came to be as a daughter to him."2 Samuel 12:1-3 .

Many today can understand how an animal can become a beloved companion, like a family member. Consider a family living near Harare, the capital city of Zimbabwe. The parents bought each of their children a dog to serve as a companion. When one of the boys, about eight at the time, was walking with his dog, suddenly a large poisonous snake called a mamba dropped from a tree in front of him. The mamba attacked, but with lightning speed the dog intervened, saving the child's life. Can you imagine how precious that dog was to the family?

Particularly treasured by the deaf are dogs that have been trained to assist them. One woman relates: "Twinkie hears the bell, and she comes and taps on my leg and leads me to the front door. Similarly, when Twinkie hears the buzzer on my oven timer, she runs up to me, and I follow her. In the event of a smoke or fire alarm, Twinkie is trained to attract my attention and then lie down to indicate potential danger."

Especially noteworthy is the useful relationship between the blind and their guide dogs. Guide-dog trainer Michael Tucker, author of The Eyes That Lead, believes that a guide dog can open up a whole new world for the blind, giving "freedom, independence, mobility and companionship." Truly, the rapport between such dogs and their masters is often a pleasure to behold!

The situation is similar with those who are disabled in other ways and who have a companion dog. A dog owned by a woman confined to a wheelchair has been taught to pick up her telephone and to lick stamps for the mail! Another dog responds to 120 commands, even gathering cans and packets from supermarket shelves. The disabled owner uses a laser dot to identify items that he has chosen, and his dog then takes them to him.

Pets benefit the elderly as well. A doctor of veterinary medicine said that animal pets, including dogs, "give purpose and meaning at a time when the elderly often are alienated from society." The Toronto Star reported: "Companion animals are associated with lower stress, fewer doctors' visits and even better survival rates after heart attacks."

The New Encyclopædia Britannica makes this interesting observation: "Keeping pets offers the opportunity to teach children the close dependence of privilege on responsibility and also something about sex. The process of mating is soon noticed, followed by such matters as gestation periods and the varied problems involved in the birth and care of young."

Devotion to Pets

The remarkable loyalty of animals actually causes some people to have stronger love for their pets than for family members. In divorce cases, custody of a pet is at times awarded as part of the settlement in property disputes. And people have named pets in their last will and testament as beneficiaries of fabulous wealth.

No wonder pets are big business today! There are books and magazines that provide advice on every matter relating to pets. Realizing that some pet owners are willing to provide extravagant luxuries for their pets, businesses offer whatever pet owners want.

For example, one may consult highly specialized doctors who treat all manner of ailments affecting pets. There are pet psychiatrists who will prescribe an antidepressant for a pet. In addition, there are pet lawyers and insurance agents as well as pet grooming services and training institutions. Funerals are held for pets. And offers are made to clone pets—all at a price, of course!

Clearly, love of pets is widespread. In her book The Animal Attraction, Dr. Jonica Newby concludes: "When a dog comes running up to us, wagging its tail and licking us as though our coming home was the best thing that had happened to it all day, it seems fair to call it 'love.'" Surely it is understandable why many pet owners are moved to reciprocate that "love."

Yet, efforts to humanize a pet can have a detrimental side. After all, a pet cannot fulfill one's needs the way fellow humans can. Moreover, the urbanization of pets—that is, their adapting to city environments—poses problems for some pets and their owners. We will examine such matters in the following article.

Pets can help the disabled and the elderly

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Yet, efforts to humanize a pet can have a detrimental side. After all, a pet cannot fulfill one's needs the way fellow humans can

What the Hell is that supposed to mean? Bullcrap is too good a word ...

• dinah
    dinah

All pets are possessed by Satan and he uses them to get into your house. I'm surprised they didn't say that.

The time you spend petting your dog could be spent in field circus. Not to mention all the time it takes to buy dog food, feed them, walk them, all that time could be given to Jah.

• Bourne
    Bourne

"The remarkable loyalty of animals actually causes some people to have stronger love for their pets than for family members. In divorce cases, custody of a pet is at times awarded as part of the settlement in property disputes. And people have named pets in their last will and testament as beneficiaries of fabulous wealth.

No wonder pets are big business today! There are books and magazines that provide advice on every matter relating to pets. Realizing that some pet owners are willing to provide extravagant luxuries for their pets, businesses offer whatever pet owners want.

For example, one may consult highly specialized doctors who treat all manner of ailments affecting pets. There are pet psychiatrists who will prescribe an antidepressant for a pet. In addition, there are pet lawyers and insurance agents as well as pet grooming services and training institutions. Funerals are held for pets. And offers are made to clone pets—all at a price, of course!"

I actually agree with this one. Don't get me wrong. I like animals and totally believe that they should be treated with respect and not abused. However, I've seen too many people that practically WORSHIP their pets, while neglecting family or their spouses. IMHO pets are for children and old people. And if you are a single person that worships animals, either find someone just like you or stay single.

Others will risk their very lives to save animals. I shake my head in shame and amusement when reading or hearing news reports of people dying because of these attempts.

And don't tell me, "MY pet(s) treat me alot better than alot of people." Try neglecting your pet like you would neglect a family member and watch the results.

You love your pet? Fine. Enjoy your pets. But people come first!

Bourne

P.S. I've had pets in the past. And I LOVED every one of them. But thank goodness my parents led right on this one..........Gosh....people are NUTS!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    The remarkable loyalty of animals actually causes some people to have stronger love for their pets than for family members.

The Watchtower can not help but find the negative in every aspect of life.

• dinah
    dinah

Yeah jwfacts,

I agree. They can only find something positive in something that serves THEM.

Why else would God make animals and give us the ability to domesticate them? I would think for our enjoyment. I've seen some people go a little overboard with their pets--but I guess to each his own. You can actually get more human companionship from a dog or cat than you can get from a family that shuns you.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I think I'm better off remaining single and having my birds. For the first time in my life my home is a peaceful place, and I look forward to coming home after work. For the first time there is someone who is glad to see me come through the door. I don't have to walk on eggshells any more. I can't picture myself living with humans again. I get my fill of them at work.

W

• XOCO
    XOCO

this is rhe same thing when i stumbled upon this when i was looking through the WT-CD rom

Did the WT ever hinder ppl from going to the zoo?

XOCO

• Hiddenwindow
    Hiddenwindow

The WT is correct. Here is a very good argument they left out.

Since Jehovah did not find it appropriate to equip animals with the ability of communicating their feelings through words, there are instances in which a Christian who owns a pet might find himself in a dilemma. Fernando, a young Christian from South America considered the issue by asking himself a very important question: "As a Christian, would I be able to accompany a dog to his psychiatrist and, in the process, expose myself to the possible damage of having to listen to unchristian advice on worldly matters such as premarital sex between dogs or things of that nature?" After serious consideration of the issue, Fernando decided that he could not, in good conscience, adopt a pet. Instead of investing time and money on a pet, he decided to spend his time in the field service in the morning and work part time selling homemade ice cream in the afternoon. In his community, he is known as the Watchtower dude, since nine out of ten people who buy ice cream from him walk away carrying a copy the Watchtower. No doubt, Jehovah's blessing is evident.
  • dogisgod
    dogisgod

Such manipulating condescending s..t. Doesn't anybody get sick and tired of how the society treats them like a 3 yr old by a bunch of sexually repressed men. Even when reading R Franz book I recognized the background of his wording imposed by the society. (by the way, you can NOT domesticate a WILD animal like the leopard shown. You may influence their behavior by training and keeping their bellys full but they can turn and rip your throat out just because that is in their DNA...they are kinda like the mafia...they'll kill you but it's nothing personal...just business).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit