Scamed on Ebay

by noni1974 40 Replies latest jw friends

• noni1974
    noni1974

I bought what was advertized as a Sapphire and diamond 10 k ring.What I got was a coustume plated fake gold fake sapphire fake diamond ring.I was also way over charged for shipping.I was charged $14.99 and I asked the seller if it would be insured for that price.They said it would be.They paid $1.13 for the shipping and no insurance.

I've made a report to both ebay and paypal.I'm thinking of reporting it to my visa card company.Now I'm waiting for the seller to reply to me.Now what??I'm new to this ebay thing.Should I shipp it back to the seller??Should I keep it??

I know it's a fake because the "gold" is not marked 10 k.Every gold piece I've ever owned has a halmark on it saying what grade of gold it is.I have a gold sapphire ring my Mom gave me and I know it's gold because I can see a tiny hallmark inside the band that says 10 k and I know the sapphire is real because it's got a cloudy line in it.A inclusion if you will.Only real stones have these inclusions.

*Sigh*

This was a special gift to myself for Christmas.I really wanted a sapphire ring to go on my other hand.Oh well.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

If it's plated with 10k it won't have a hallmark and the description is likely still valid. That's the trouble with online stuff - it can look real even if its plastic!

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Jewelry from other countries (India, etc.) may not always have a mark on it. I had a 22 carat gold necklace from India. No marks at all.

I suggest you have a qualified jeweller certifiy it as a fake in writing and then contact ebay and paypal. Maybe they can stop payment or reverse the payment to the seller. At the least revoke his privileges. If it was really expensive contact the police. It is fraud. Maybe even mail fraud, since it was mailed.

Sorry you got burned. I bought things twice on e-bay. No problems.

Cog

• moshe
    moshe

Sorry about your bad experience. You definitely have to be careful. Six years ago I bought a diamond and pearl ring for $250 on ebay. I called the jeweler in W-Palm beach first- it was an estate piece . It was appraised a couple years later at $1100 and my wife was very happy with the gift. I have noticed a lot more fraudsters on ebay lately. My son has been successful getting ebay to act on excessive shipping charges- that cuts into ebay's final value fees.

• Tara
    Tara

Sorry, Noni. I don't know anything about ebay, just looked at it for the first time the other day. If it is fake, that sucks and isn't right at all. I would stop payment.

Darkuncle sells stuff on ebay, he might be able to offer advice.

• noni1974
    noni1974
    Jewelry from other countries (India, etc.) may not always have a mark on it.

I thought about that to.But the color of the gold is off.It's more yellow that my other 10 k pieces.I know fake when I see it.This is fake.I'm going to take it to a jewler tomorrow.I would have taken it to a jewler anyway because I would need to get it sized smaller.I'll let him tell me it's fake and not worth anything.

I have a few pieces of jewrley that are plated 10k over .925 silver.The color is never the same as real gold.Real gold is duller and less yellow than this ring or my other plated pieces.I've compared the color side by side with more than just one piece of 10 k gold.I even cleaned my gold before I compared them to make the gold as shiny as I can.The color is still off.It's way to yellow.It does match a couple of my plated pieces.

I've only bought a few things from ebay in the past.I've never had a problem before.I've always got what I expected.

• noni1974
    noni1974

BTW even if it is plated.It still doesn't match the discription.It was advertized as Sapphire and Diamond 10 K ring.Not a gold plated simulated sapphire and diamond like ring.I was expecting at least real gold not plated.

I just looked at the listing.It says I have 10 day to returen the ring for a full refund.I'm going to ship it out tomorrow after I get a letter from the jewler.I'll ship it so they have to sign for it with tracking and anything else I can think of to let me know for sure they recived it.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Hi Noni, I'm here now. BTW, sorry we ate you in whoville.

I've been having a rough time on eBay too, I'm loosing alot of money, I know these things have a learning curve, but its too expensive. A'right, enought of MY bitchin. Three Snaps

1. Send it back.

2. Go through the PayPal site and get your money back. They have a very helpful chat interface where you can chat with a helper and get things taken care of.

3. Go back to eBay, and file a complaint...misrepresentation or what ever. Bottom line, you're not satisfied. Also, did yo leave feedback? You can leave feedback for up to 45 days (???) after a transaction. This will be seen by everybody, and it will alter the seller's feedback score. You have room for one tiney sentence, make it count.

I'm sorry I cant give you screen shots or precise details, I'm still figuring it all out, alot of eBay stuff is tiny blue links or hiddeen behind buttons or tabs, so don't be afraid to explore. I think that the path you'll be on for help with a complaint and similiar is pretty straight forward. Buying is easy, selling is more com plicated.

Whatever you do, DO NOT DELAY. Time is money.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Sorry, I'm kinda "special" sometimes...

You already left reports with PayPal and eBay. Good, keep up with that, and inquire daily.

• Gilberto
    Gilberto

My wife sells jewellery on ebay, (in the UK, so it wasn't from her).

She will issue refunds if the item is returned even if there is nothing wrong. This very rarely happens (so it is a good business policy to offer such). Your seller may do the same.

On the issue of insurance. Our postal service offers cover up to £30 on normal postage. So your item may have been covered anyway.

If your seller is reputable, I am sure the situation will be resolved amicably.

I reckon Ebay is a good place for buyers. It is very expensive for sellers: what with Lising fees, final value fees, PayPal fees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit