Why are so many so hard on RR?

by zack 18 Replies latest jw friends

• zack
    zack

I came to the threads about RR a little late this week. The tenor of many of them really surprised me. Some were downright vitriolic.

I have seen RR around for quite some time. I have given talks at his Hall, at his Circuit Assemblies, and know some of the family's friends. I felt almost ashamed of myself when I would see him at an assembly, because he just let it all hang out here on the forum. Some of the things he's posted were incongruous with my knowledge of him, but I never felt the need to confront him or "expose" him. I thought he was far braver than I was for exposing himself. I felt like a coward compared to this young man. I certainly wish him well. The lessons of life come hard and the building up of one's inner self takes time. Just remember that RR is a young man who was raised to believe one thing as the incontrovertible truth. I know how I felt when I learned for myself what utter nonsense it all was; how angry and disappointed I became. How disillusioned and depressed I felt. It gave me an empathy and a sympathy for him. It seems to me that some of the reaction is piling on.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

It's easy to be hard on others when you are perfect.

It's tough, being perfect and all...but I deal with it.

• JK666
    JK666

Zack,

His boldness is legendary on this board. I was a rebel in my time, and I . . . ahem . . . acquired a notated "Pay Attention" book. Photocopied every page of the sucker and put it back. I kept it on hand in case I ever needed it, but never shared it with the world. Ritchie has stones for sure to do what he did.

I don't know why everyone came down so hard on RR. I think mostly because of trust issues since T-gate. But this really was non of our GD business.

Just my thoughts,

JK

• JK666
    JK666

WLG,

This emperor thing is going to your head!

JK

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Zack,

Who are the "so many' who have been hard on RR?

As far as I have seen there have been just three people who have been hard on him, the rest have indulged in a love bombing normally reserved for 'Bible Studies'. ;)

HS

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think it comes down to intolerance for those who are different from us. It is inherent in human society. However, it is detrimental and always leads to loss of value. Our regulators impose a certain amount of intolerance for differences on us, resulting in much status quo and stagnation in society. There are those who have little tolerance for differences in communities, resulting in houses that all look the same (and this year, it is costing us the value of having nicely lit Christmas displays).

Religion takes this to the extreme, and none more than the cults. Jehovah's Witlesses are intolerant to the extreme to anyone whose ideas differ from their own. (Granted, we are not tolerant of adopting their ideas, but that is for practical reasons alone). Unfortunately, some of them carry that intolerance with them to forums like this once they leave. They will try to start another cult. Or, they will beat up on anyone that differs from themselves, stooping down to the level of the Watchtower Society itself. This happens most when someone comes here with an unusual experience from the Watchtower Society or who has integrated knowledge and has come to an unusual conclusion. This doesn't make those people any less truthful than the ones that have had common experiences. Those with unusual experiences and integrations can profit from reading the more common ones, as much as those with more common experiences can profit from more exotic ones.

When anyone tries to enforce conformity to a group norm, value is unavoidably destroyed. Not only does the poster who has radically different experience not be able to express themselves fully, but others are intimidated into putting a stock answer to posts. That is not what we want on this forum--most of us have had our fill of that with the Watchtower Society. Notice that the rules prohibit this kind of insulting others. In fact, it is the Number One Rule on the list. I, personally, like a forum with a good diversity of different ideas and opinions, even if I do not believe some of them. The few people that have blatantly wacky posts will in time have their own worst enemy catch up to them (which is the date that they predict something will come and go without event). But even they liven up the forum to the extent that they stimulate everyone to thinking.

Think, and you will be independent. Let others do your thinking, and you will eventually find yourself in a cult.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

I can tell you why I was hard on RR. first off I would like to say that RR most likely has more knowledge(/old wts books) about the history of the wts than most anyone here. he is truely a walking wts history book. I have learned much from him about the wt from 1917-present. he can blast the wts from 1917 to the present. what took me a while to learn was he went from a rabid defender of the wts. to become a rabid defender of 'BIBLE STUDENTS" (russelites). there were a few topics a few years back were RR sounded (acted) just like any full blown jw defending not the wts but Russell. well I think he showed he's just as brainwashed by the Bible Students. as the most hard core jw's I've ever met. RR went on and on about 1799, 1874,1878, and pyramids and other russell teaching like they were INCONTRAVERTIBLE FACTS. I mean how can you have all this knowledge sit here and curse everything the wts did since 1917. and at the same time call Russell the FAithful Slave. I can't see it. respectfully john

• Nosferatu
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

JohnnyCip..Wrong RR..LOL!!...........................I`d say most of the board likes Richie.......As HS pointed out.....There was only a few that made a big deal,about this.....Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• Gopher
    Gopher

Johnny Cip --

The RR being referred to here is Richie Rich, the young man from North Carolina. You're thinking of the poster RR, who is older and adheres to the Bible Student philosophy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit