Having Phobias : Negative Images Keep People Cult Controlled- By Hassan

by flipper 31 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

JK- Hey my good friend ! How ya doin"? In answer to your question , from what I've read so far in this book , I think the Watchtower society comes by this mind control naturally, even unwittingly should I dare say ! I know they drone on about how organized they are and all. But I don't think as an organization they are intelligent enough to have like, " mind control schools ". I just feel that the GB smoothly, subtly use sly wording and catch phrases in their elder schools and make it status quo to manipulate the rank and file publishers with the witnoid terminologies they indoctrinate the elders with. Then, they try to pass it off to the rank and file as " building them up spiritually ".

COMPOUND COMPLEX- I don't think as you say the GB could ever admit to their elders, circuit overseers, or district overseers that they are using mind control. This mind control is a subtle art as Steve Hassan's book shows. One in which the deception is in the subtlety of the con game. Whereas you are right brainwashing is different in that it is an outright attempt by enemies to change our thinking. But cult mind control is different from brainwashing in that the perpetrators of it, pose as friends to us that " alledgedly " have our best interests at heart. Just like the Watchtower society. That subtlety is what makes the attack so dangerous

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Mr. Flipper,

Good answer!

CoCo

• flipper
    flipper

CoCo- You are very welcome , my friend ! The Watchtower society doesn't want the rank and file, even the elders to know totally what they are up to

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Over the course of time, JF Rutherford insisted that others do as he said,
    believe what he wrote, follow all of it. Over more time past his life, the
    things that kept the faithful in line were adopted over the things that did not.
    Knorr was an efficiency expert, so doing things in a military style was
    the most efficient. It became more and more efficient as people were
    allowed to deviate from the formula less and less.

If, statistically, members left because of a good education or because of
    hearing the truth from former members, then rules came to be about avoiding
    former members and education was frowned on.

If having recreation and overtime kept people from the meetings, then recreation
    and overtime were ruled as bad.

If the deeper issues lost people's interests, then simpler more direct messages
    would be printed. If they were easier to remember with phrases and repetition,
    then phrases and repetition would be used.

Before you know it, the methods of a cult were the preferred methods of WTS.
    This is an oversimplified model, but you get the idea.

• flipper
    flipper

OTWO- Very true my friend what you say ! It's like the meetings , service, assemblies, and studying are all put on the front burners as all-important. If ANYTHING interferes with that regimented schedule the witnesses have it is to be looked at as a hindrance, or given a negative connotation. Just look how they would diss people for even going to the restroom at breaks during songs ! Or trying to control whether you eat at the assemblies, as opposed to going out to lunch to get a breath of fresh air, and dare I say ( freedom ) .

Also as you said by the use of catch phrases and repitition of these catch phrases they get it ingrained in the rank and file members mind, until that is all they know and value ! Creepy ! So almost as by osmosis , these people in the witnesses are gradually " cult mind controlled " before they even know it ! Kind of like turning the fire up on a frog in warm water gradually , he doesn't recognize it, and before too long , he dies . Sad really

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

I saw the video about how to help someone exit a cult. How does one help another person leave a cult when the cult member won't speak due to shunning practices?

ESTEE

• Highlander
    Highlander
    Offhand, does anyone know if the Society has ever discussed mind-control and how it's used upon recruits?

I don't think the mind control is something that most, if not all cults are even aware they are doing. I view cult mind control as a sort of peer pressure(on steroids) I think of my time as a child in gradeschool. I recall the cliques and groups that the kids would separate into on the playground. Each group viewing the other group as undesirable and possibly even a threat. Cults are a more dangerous extension of that childhood behavior, or that peer pressure from our friends, family and associates that we sometimes fall prey to.

I'm starting to believe that cults are a natural part of human behavior. Fortunately, not all cults are dangerous or even recognized as one.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I saw that Hassan has written a couple books. If I were to buy only one - which would you say is the best?

• flipper
    flipper

ESTEE- That's a great question you ask, about how we talk to someone about cult mind control if they are shunning us ! I don't have an adequate answer for that, just yet ! ButI am reading the " cult mind control" book , and later on in the book it is supposed to address helping these ones get out of the cult. I am on pg. 70 so far, and I will keep you posted on what I find out in regards to your question ! I too have 2 daughters shunning me right now , so I want to see what methods I can use to get them out of the witnesses.

HIGHLANDER-I agree with you that these cults are like it was in school when kids had cliques and kept us out of the group. Good analogy. I also agree with you that some of the cults aren't even aware that they are using " mind control", they just do it unwiitingly and their members suffer for it. But some extreme groups like David Koresh, and Jim Jones, I feel they knew exactly what they were doing to control people.

I think " cults are a normal part of human behavior " to some of the population , not all though. I feel the type of people that need to belong to a cult are people who are insecure and need to be part of a group or herd with someone making all their decisions for them. Or, on the flip side of the coin, they might want to be in a cult because of insecurity and want to control others in positions of power inside the cult , because they are people who need to be in control, and can't exercise control on people in the work world or other aspects of their life, so they pick a cult that will tolerate their abusing of others with rules approved by the cult .

Other people don't feel a need to be in a cult , because they feel secure enough in themselves without a group. Just my opinion. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

MISSING LINK- I was told by a fellow poster to read the first Steve Hassan book, called " Combatting Cult Mind Control ". My friend told me it is more detailed in descriptions of cults and has great ideas for helping people get out of cults. I am about 33% through it at present. It is a great book, I highly recommend reading it ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Mr Flipper, you wrote:

I don't have an adequate answer for that, just yet ! But I am reading the " cult mind control" book , and later on in the book it is supposed to address helping these

Thanks, much appreciated! I'll be watching this thread.

*hugs*

ESTEE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit