Bible question on Revelation...

by *summer* 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• *summer*
    *summer*

Rev 14: 3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth. 4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.

How should this be taken??? Litterally or more as an allegory??? Does the term "women" refer to real women or does it refer to something else???

Thank you...

*summer*

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I take it to be literal, I believe the Watchtower takes it to be figurative and teaches that the women mentioned there are not really women, but it symbolizes false religion. I may be wrong on that, so if someone else know then speak up.

• *summer*
    *summer*

J-G...

You are correct. They take it as false religion. But I am curious about other opinions. As I also believe it should be taken litterally.

• JCanon
    JCanon
    I take it to be literal, I believe the Watchtower takes it to be figurative and teaches that the women mentioned there are not really women, but it symbolizes false religion. I may be wrong on that, so if someone else know then speak up.

Right. An absolutely literal reading would mean none of the anointed were ever married and thus never had sex, or even that none of them were women. We know this is not true. Thus the meaning is considered symbolic. "Women" are associated with Babylon the great. Elsewhere they are spoken of as not having the number of the beast so this defilement by "women" means they were not influenced by false religion and in particularly false religion from Babylon the Great who is depicted as a female harlot. Other symbolic references, of course, is that they are all jews, all men, and who come from the 12 tribes of Israel, 12,000 from each tribe. Thus much here in final analysis is considered symbolic. JCanon

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Maybe it means, never ENJOYED sex with a woman. That way the governing body would still qualify.

• sspo
    sspo

JCANON........good post

Keep it up

• *summer*
    *summer*

JCanon...

Thank you...

• rocky
    rocky

Here follows an answer....

re chap.29 pp.201-202 Singing the Triumphal New Song***

Followers

of the Lamb

Continuing his description of the 144,000 who are "bought from the earth," John tells us: "These are the ones that did not defile themselves with women; infact, they are virgins.These are the ones that keep following the Lamb nomatter where he goes. These were bought from among mankind as firstfruits to God and to the Lamb, and no falsehood was found in their mouths; they are without blemish."(Revelation14:4,5) The fact that the 144,000 "are virgins" does not mean that members of this class are necessarily unmarried in the flesh. The apostle Paul wrote to Christians who had a heavenly calling that, whereas there are advantages to Christian singleness, marriage is preferable under certain circumstances. (1 Corinthians 7:1, 2, 36, 37) What characterizes this class is a spiritual virginity. They have avoided spiritual adultery with worldly politics and with false religion. (James 4:4; Revelation 17:5) As the betrothed bride of Christ, they have kept themselves pure, "without a blemish in among a crooked and twisted generation."—Philippians 2:15.

Additionally, "no falsehood was found in their mouths." In this, they are like their King, Jesus Christ. As a perfect human, "he committed no sin, nor was deception found in his mouth." (1 Peter 2:21, 22) In being simultaneously without blemish and truthful, the 144,000 are prepared as a chaste bride for Jehovah’s great High Priest. When Jesus was on earth, he invited righthearted ones to follow him. (Mark 8:34; 10:21; John 1:43) Those who responded imitated his way of life and obeyed his teachings. Thus, during their earthly course, they "keep following the Lamb no matter where he goes" as he guides them through Satan’s world.

So it speaks for itself I think...

• *summer*
    *summer*

Thank you for your input, rocky...

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, *summer*:

I know rien sur Revelation, but I know much on castles in the air and dreams ...

CoCo Ami

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit