anybody see the new JW-commercial?

by Moxy 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Moxy
    Moxy
    On WHTV UPN 18 (channel 5) they aired the commercial put out by the Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses (12:38 am on Monday night). It is only airing in the North East US.

A brother who saw the commercial last Friday said it was really nicely done. It talks about Family life and plays the kingdom songs in the background.

A telephone call to the society confirmed it was a trial, and it was a bonafide JW advertisement.

from http://www.witnessesonline.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/witnessesonline/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000277

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Step right up folks and try new improved Watchtower (tm) Brand religion! Accept no substitutes; it's the only one which isn't a snare and a racket! Obligation free trial period: sign on now, and if in six months time you don't like it, you'll be shunned for life and destroyed in God's imminent moment of wrath!

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Moxy,
    I'd love to see this or have that comercial down in our part of the country.
    Why?
    Well about a year ago my husband made a comment to my self-rightious mother about the society needing to modernize the preaching work.
    One thing he mentioned as an idea was how the Mormons advertise on TV.
    The Methodist are doing it too.

She was so offended at that comment she accused my husband of being an Apostate and said "Jehovah's organization would Never use worldly media to get the message out!!!"

Ranchette

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

In a posting several months ago, I foretold the return of the WTBTS to the airwaves. Not the old style WBBR radio, but new televangelist video begging. But we will only see this in the developed countries; the less developed nations will still see the door to door work.

Yes, if they can't slither in through the front door, they will try and squeeze in via the TV cable.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Modernising the medium isn't enough; they'll have to mainstream the message too. The most modern 21st century commercial won't change the fact that the religion is still early 20th century in its methods and attitudes at best.

• Escargot
    Escargot

We should run a counter viewpoint then...............

Erasmus (1520 AD): "If we want truth, every person ought to be free to speak what they think without fear."

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

It's about time they started using something more efficient than door-to-door. Of course, door-to-door can never disappear because that is what this religion is all about.

I also agree, that unless the message is modernized, the medium will ultimately be irrelevant. But interesting comments nonetheless moxy.

Path

• Makena1
    Makena1

Interesting post Moxy. Have not heard of WTBS using the TV in many many years.

Maybe they are on to something. Sell the KH's, rent a few large auditoriums for bi-annual faith meetings, etc. Drop the door to door, use telemarketing more, and encourage the R & F to watch from the comfort of their media rooms, encourage greater donations. Just might work.

I might even tune in. When I am really bored with what is on the tube, there is always something to laugh your @#$ off on TBN (Trinity Broadcast Network.)

Makena
    Soon to be "couch potato" class>?

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Once upon a time they used radio to broadcast their crap. Why don't they have an hour on TV, and do a regular meeting? Then the trooooooth can shine forth so brightly!

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Check out this typical Jehovah's Witness at:
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/

• Seeker
    Seeker
    She was so offended at that comment she accused my husband of being an Apostate and said "Jehovah's organization would Never use worldly media to get the message out!!!"

So sad, another JW who doesn't know their own history. Ask her about WBBR sometime. Have her look it up in her own index, and then ask her if radio is theocratic media or worldly media.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit