Memorial Date this year, why so far out ?

by Phizzy 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We have debated for many a long year on JWN about the "proper" date for the Passover/Memorial and my conclusion is that JW's get it all wrong for a number of reasons, but as the Gospels are contradictory, nobody can say for sure.

Most years they are close to the time by a day or so, signalled by the Full Moon occurring about then.

I believe this year they have chosen Saturday April 11th.

This is a full week, near enough, away from the Full Moon.

What has gone on with their calculation ?

• sir82
    sir82
    This year's Memorial is on April 3.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Phizzy: "I believe this year they have chosen Saturday April 11th."

According to JW.org it will be held on April 3 this year.

Edit: Oops, sir82 beat me to it.

• stillin
    stillin
    Go on the 11th. It will be fine...
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    maybe the full moon occurs on a different date where you live Phizz ?
  • prologos
    prologos

stillin, a week off is not fine, in the OT you could celebrate the passover a MONTH later, if you passed over earlier occasions. Any time is a good time to celebrate leaving, of course, and if you live in Japan or even the North West US, and stay up all night, you can catch a lunar eclipse during that darkness. so,

keep your private wine and matzos ready, after sundown, but until the early morning, and enjoy it with a rare overlap of orbits.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

When I celebrate, I never get the actual time it should be celebrated wrong.

(Yes, you can easily figure what I mean.)

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I like to have a small quiet celebration, along with my wife, for nearly any occasion where we enjoy a good Cabernet and some unleavened bread/crackers, tho with a nice pungent Brie cheese. April 3 or 11 will work. Either one. Or both.

Doc

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Maybe they want the annointed numbers to go up significantly hence two memorials- within a week of each other!! ha ha !!

Heres bettin the numbers reach past 16000!!

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

What screws everything up is that the Memorial is supposed to be after sundown on Nisan 14 (Jewish calendar).

Theoretically, this should be on or equivalent to the Thursday before Good Friday before Easter Sunday. Because the only thing consistent is that Good Friday and Easter Sunday fall on the weekend of or after the full moon, Nisan 14 can actually fall before or several days after the full moon. So we are really dealing with two calendars and two traditions. The last time I went to a Memorial was the 24th of April, 2011. If I remember correctly, the Memorial was celebrated on the 17th, the previous Sunday, almost a full week before Easter.

Didn't matter. Same old story. Same old boring prayers (like 6 of them). Same talk with the same old shit. Same old Manischewitz and stale crackers. Never went back and never will again. I have no idea if anyone actually partook of the emblems. Jehovah was definitely somewhere else that night.

JV

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit