Anyone feel lonely at holidays?

by Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

I do, I think my husband does. Everyone we know now has family to be with at TG or Xmas. We really love going all out for the holidays, but in the end it's a little disappointing and sad. We could always help out feeding the homeless, that would bring satisfaction I know, but that's not the Christmas I dream about, it's not the Christmas in the stuffing commercials.

Anyone else feel like this?

• ninja
    ninja

only one time......my wife had hidden the whisky.......

• horrible life
    horrible life

I was between boyfriends, working in a grocery store, while in college, and it was Thanksgiving. It was very crowded with people grabbing items they had forgotten. People just buying 2 or 3 items. All of the sudden, around 1:00 in the afternoon, all went quiet. We were going to close about 2:00.

I started to get hungry, and thought about where I might eat, before going home. I realized that DUHH, nothing open!! I kinda started getting upset. I joked to the manager, "What time should I come over to your house?" He just laughed. As we were closing, he bought 1 item. It was a $2.50 turkey frozen TV dinner. I asked him, if that was what he was having for Thanksgiving? I felt bad, that I was a smart ass about coming to his house.

He said No, it wasn't his, but it was mine. Happy Thanksgiving. I cried. He thought I was just grateful, that a poor college student, had food. I cried that I didn't have a normal family.

edited: 20 years ago, that $2.50 TV dinner, was the best you could buy! It was deluxe! seriously.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

That was really touching, hl.

On many levels.

• ninja
    ninja

hey lifer.....you should have gone the whole hog and said...."you know I cant accept this.....not without a bottle of wine and some chocolate cake for afters"........sage advice from ninja.......always the scotsman

• seawolf
    seawolf

I'm lonely the entire year so when the holidays come they don't even phase me.

• horrible life
    horrible life

You are right Ninja. I was so naive.

Now that I am weepy, I gotta tell Nvr, that you are such a great guy. Hell, if I was Simon, I would make an exception, and give you unlimited posts per day. I am glad you are here at JWD.

And Ninja, you crack me up. Your one liners are priceless. But you can always tell, that you read every word, of what the writer wrote. I love your sense of humor. I love ya man!!

Now I have to go wash my face.

• tnangel73
    tnangel73

I do. Usually I'll spend time at my sister's. But I don't really feel like a part of their family.

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

Yep.

There's a whole lot I like about living alone but the holidays isn't one of them. I have a birthday right smack at the end of them too.

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

When single, I would splurge on my self. It was funny how everyone would whine about being broke after the holiday, but I had new things!!!

Now I buy my family things. I enjoy the outdoor skating, skiing and other seasonal activities. I guess I still have the witness /god complex. (I don't need your pagan days, I will use them to my advantage. l know many JW's that have parties during the holidays. I guess it was a christmas party with good music, no carols.

I also work OT on TG and Chrismas. Guys still feel that my kids miss something. I have 4 children, wife of 15 Years and I have the problem Mr. divorcee?? :)

Expand your friendship base. Life is good, enjoy!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit