Have You Ever Rejected Being Appointed an Elder/MS Before the Announcement?

by GermanXJW 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Twice I moved and was asked if I wanted to contiue serving as a Ministerial Servant....I think they missed the point of my moving!!...I made excuses, health, work, stress etc.

• lesterd
    lesterd

After getting out of prison the first meeting I attended I was asked, and the elder arrangement had just been instituted, there were 2 congregation in prison and we had regular visits from circut overseerers despensing bethel light, I had sudied every publication from the forties and wore out two Bibles, the elder arrangement took on too much importance to itself, now they say they are the seven stars of the congregations mentioned in Rev. I first refused on the basis that I was not a regular publisher, having been inactive in prison for over a year, they were willing to wave that requirement, then I got blunt with them and said that that appointment was not by holy spirit and was failable and if a mistake was ever made elders would be blood guilty. We all here know how much blood there is on their hands.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Yes, I wrote about it here once before. Turned down being an elder because we had three little kids at the time and I wasn't going to miss out on that and leave my wife to struggle while I was 'eldering'.

It didn't go down too well with the P.O.

• S EIGHT
    S EIGHT

When they pulled me to one side to have the elder chat I stepped down from MS. Ha ha ha.

CO hasn't spoken a word to me in the last 3 visits.

S8

• crazyhorse
    crazyhorse

Great thread. This is what's happening to me now. I have refused MS appointment but they want to tell me there's no reason to refuse and that refusing means opposition to God's call.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Has anyone used scripture in their refusal of appointment? The next time they try to pressure me, I'm thinking of using James 3:1 and maybe Matthew 23:8 and follow up by stating that I'm not interested in carrying any title. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on how that might be received.

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

I was an MS for about 1.5 years....was pulled into a room by 2 elders and they started talking about my future goals and being an elder. I told them both I had no intention of being an Elder. This was around Nov 2013 when the article about obeying the GB even if it sounds retarded. Shortly after that about 6 weeks later I was doing research on how to step down as an MS and found this site. Got great ideas on how to step down without a mess and it worked. shortly after I stepped down as an MS.

Best decision I ever made. Do you know why? becasue it's a FREAKING CULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GTTM

• blondie
    blondie

My husband was stunned, he had only been baptized 2 years and an MS for 1 when they asked him to be an elder. He wanted to discuss it with me first and they wouldn't let him, so he said okay. I wasn't mad but I was surprised that he could not discuss the added pressures on me. 5 years later he stepped down and out of the org having a complete education about how the WTS worked, no going back. No wavering.

• Quendi
    Quendi

It depends on the local BOE. I was never approached about being a ministerial servant let alone an elder. I always thought that strange because they were glad to let me pioneer and I was by far and away the best teacher and speaker in the congregation. On the whole, I am glad I never served and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Quendi

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

I was never approached about being a ministerial servant...I always thought that strange because... I was by far and away the best teacher and speaker in the congregation."
    Maybe they wanted you to work on humility ;) ..lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit