Fluffity fluff fluff. Word puzzle, can you solve it?

by RisingEagle 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Jourles
    Jourles

I just woke up, so you'll have to excuse my lateness to this thread.

What's the volume of material left in the remaining perforated object?

I would first need to know the diameter of the hole.

• ninja
    ninja

how many tomatoes in a pound?

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I'm going to say that all of the legs are in the bus.

• WHO
    WHO

Jourles, bro, you think I'd forget to provide a clue to my all-time favorite puzzle? I wouldn't overlook such an important thing as that. Ok, there is one other restriction: no calculus allowed. There are two different ways to solve it.

Here's a clue: there's an answer to the puzzle.

• erynw
    erynw
    A solid spherical object has a hole drilled through its center (in one side and out the other). The hole is seven inches long. What's the volume of material left in the remaining perforated object?

Ok, the diameter of the hole doesn't matter or you would have given us that information.

So if the hole is very very thin, the sphere is still almost completely solid and has a diameter of 7".

So to calculate the volume of the solid spherical object, use the formula V = (4/3) pi * r^3 , pi = 3.14, r = radius = 7/2.

The volume of material left in the remaining perforated object is:

V = (4/3) pi (7/2)^3 = 4.19 * 42.875

which is approximately 179.50 cubic inches.

Do I win?

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Confession: It took me 5 tries to get the answer right on the original word puzzle. Start throwing letters in with numbers and ask me to calculate and I freeze up faster than a pioneer asked to explain the Malawi/Mexico debacle.

I googled the sphere question and can only find references to a six inch diameter hole not seven. Is there something special I'm missing?

"Old Boniface he took his cheer,
    Then he bored a hole through a solid sphere,
    Clear through the center, straight and strong,
    And the hole was just six inches long.

Now tell me, when the end was gained,
    What volume in the sphere remained?
    Sounds like I haven't told enough,
    But I have, and the answer isn't tough!"

=============================

The volume of the leftover material is equal to the volume of a
    6" sphere.

• erynw
    erynw
    Start throwing letters in with numbers and ask me to calculate and I freeze up faster than a pioneer asked to explain the Malawi/Mexico debacle.

Now that's funny!

• WHO
    WHO

There's nothing you're missing -- and nothing's special about seven versus six inches. I just picked a seven-inch dimension to frustrate a Google attack. Any sized sphere greater than seven inches in diameter can be drilled straight through leaving behind a seven inch long hole by precisely adjusting the hole's diameter to suit. A seven inch long hole through a Jupiter-sized sphere would have to have an enormous radius to leave behind only seven inches of planetary surface, but it can be performed mathematically or numerically. A Sun-sized hole would require an even larger hole diameter.

The sphere's volume must be a constant no matter how large or how tiny the hole's radius, otherwise there would be no unique solution to the puzzle; so 49pi works for a seven-inch hole, 36pi works for a six-inch hole and so on. The formula's the same. I love the elegance of the solution to this puzzle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit