YMCA membership

by erandir 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

If the local JW BOE objects, you can always fall back on the defense that you and your wife are MAJOR fans of The Village People. Run out now and get all their albums. You should be the cop and your wife can be the indian.

"Young man, there's no need to feel down.
    I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground.
    I said, young man, 'cause you're in a new town
    There's no need to be unhappy.

Young man, there's a place you can go.
    I said, young man, when you're short on your dough.
    You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find
    Many ways to have a good time.

It's fun to stay at the y-m-c-a. .."

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    If the local JW BOE objects, you can always fall back on the defense that you and your wife are MAJOR fans of The Village People. Run out now and get all their albums. You should be the cop and your wife can be the indian.

lol! we should have tried that one...

• erandir
    erandir

Good one, Nathan Natas!

LOL

I'll keep that in mind.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

A person in my congregation just returned from visiting an ex-Bethelite couple in California. A sister in a more rural CA. area was recommended pool therapy to recover from an injury. The only pool in town was the YMCA. The sister wrote the Society, and they replied that is was a conscience matter.

This happened just a few months ago.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/145210/2617666/post.ashx#2617666

Justitia

• 4mylove
    4mylove

I guess it's not different than their affiliation with the UN....it was only for "research".

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    A person in my congregation just returned from visiting an ex-Bethelite couple in California. A sister in a more rural CA. area was recommended pool therapy to recover from an injury. The only pool in town was the YMCA. The sister wrote the Society, and they replied that is was a conscience matter.

This happened just a few months ago.

Just amazing.

I really do think the big difference between those that get DF'd for this and those that do not has to do with their current status in the borg.

If the Elders have any reason they would like to put pressure on you (they don't like you, your inactive, ect) then they will use this as a tool against you. If you are well liked in the congregation and are an active member they could care less. Of course a 'weaker one' could complain that they have been stumbled and that might get you in trouble.

It's all about control IMO.

• erandir
    erandir

Ok...thanks everyone. You've all been a mountain of help. Now I know what I'm getting into. A decades old article and inconsistent enforcement of this "rule." That pretty much sums it up.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

So can anyone scan and post the letter that talks about it is a matter of conscience?

• tinker
    tinker

10+ years ago.....as we were a Perfect WT family....we are in the janitorial business. One of our accounts was a YWCA administration office. A twice a wk, 1/2hr job. My husband was an elder and while he would not hold a membership, we felt dusting and emptying trash cans was OK with our conscience. We also had a single parent sister help us out on occasion. One elder became aware of our account and began to pressure us over the Young Womens 'Christian' Association, affiliation. We did the research and let him know we could not be 'threatened' with his opionion of what he considered association with False religion. However he approached the single sister and used the 'DFing offense' threat, got her to quit on us. She was a great asset to us, we paid her well and it was a win/win situation.

At the time we were devastated over this treatment by a so called 'brother' We did everything possible to show consideration by 'lovingly' showing our research, printing out WT articals such as the fact that assemblies have been held in YMCA buildings and baptisems performed in their pools. He was indignit, dug his heels in and 'marked' us. The elder body was split in their view of the matter so lots of gossip flew. We began to refer to it as the 'Y Fiasco' and it became just one more nail in the XJdub coffin.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

So can anyone scan and post the letter that talks about it is a matter of conscience? No. I do not know the person who wrote the letter to the Society. This is second-hand information to me. Anyone want to call Bethel and ask?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit