Differences Between Science and Religion

by Mindchild 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

I found this short essay about the differences between science and religion interesting and decided to share it.

The source is the online version of Longevity, by Gurvinder Bagga, November, 2001 issue URL: http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Sauna/3748/lr86.htm#dif

A scientist will give up his life for the betterment of humanity. A religious fanatic will sacrifice humanity for his ideals.
    A scientist will or can never impose his ideas on others unless he can prove himself . A religious priest forces his thoughts on others and threatens punishment if others don't follow.
    A scientist cannot issue a fatwa or commandment to prove a point. A religious priest can issue a fatwa or commandment over a point he himself might not like to follow.
    Science does not force children who cannot speak into communities or cults. Religion forces children who cannot speak into believing ideas the child might disagree when he really can speak!
    Science encourages freedom. Scientist dress the way they want to. The work is not related to the dress a scientist wears. Religion forces a dress code. People are made to look alike. Freedom of dress is banned.
    Science does not discriminate against females. A scientist can be of either sex and be respected for his or her work. Religion mostly discriminates against females. They are not allowed to express themselves and even entrance inside a religious institution is often not allowed. Head priests of almost all religions of the world are MALES.
    More people have been killed in the name of religion than for or against any scientific discipline. In fact science has in the last two hundred years saved millions of lives.
    Science evolves and learns from it's mistakes. Religion does not evolve and NEVER learns from it's mistakes.
    Scientists are required for the day to day running of the world. Religious priests are not required for the day to day running of the world.
    A scientist might invent weapons of mass destruction but he is responsible and knows the consequences of his actions. A religious fanatic cannot make weapons of mass destruction but STEALS form scientists these weapons and kills thousands not knowing the consequences of his actions.
    Science does not reject GOD and is in fact trying to find the ultimate meaning of life. This is done through hard work which might take maybe thousands of years. But scientists have tremendous patience and are mostly fascinated by the journey rather than the goal. Religious priests KNOW GOD exists! They have not offered any proof nor are interested in doing so. They get extremely irritated if asked for proof. They are very impatient and want to go to heaven without doing any real hard work in this world.
    Scientist admit the world exists and can be manipulated for our benefit. They also use the fruits of their discovery. Religion does not give importance to this world and almost always talks of heaven or hell. But deeply religious people USE the fruits of discovery of science.
    MONEY which is the most important tool invented by man the scientist is the ONLY thing accepted by any RELIGIOUS INSTITUTION ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!! BLESSINGS CANNOT BE EXCHANGED FOR BLESSINGS.
    Science discovers truths which are applicable all over the universe. A hydrogen atom is the same everywhere. So is a oxygen atom. Similarly gravity works in the same way all over the universe. And light in it's current form travels at the same speed. Common sense tells us that a GOD should be same all over OUR universe.(IT might be different in another universe) But religion on earth does not agree. Already we have GODS of all colours and shapes found all over the world. And no GOD is compatible with another. GODS as we know them on this planet are non-fungible! They also follow political boundaries created in the last three hundred years! For example a GOD in INDIA is not a GOD when you cross a political boundary and go to PAKISTAN!!

• Amazing
    Amazing

Great post Mindchild. For me, Science is about physical truth. Religion should be about godly or philosophical truth, wisdom, justice, goodness, and love. All to often, religion is about fantasy posing as truth, but is really a lie. Great post. Thanks again. - Amazing

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Mindchild,

Thanks for that essay--I enjoyed the contrasts and agreed with them. One point that is often made about science is that it's self-correcting because it's peer-reviewed. And the proofs have to be tested by other scientists.

No such tests can be applied to religion.

Thanks,
    Pat

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Damn,
    I'm a scientist and didn't know it. I hope this doesn't make me a Christian scientist!

Seriously, Mindchild, I am printing this one and will have to spend more time deciding what it means to me.

Jst2laws

• Celtic
    Celtic

Makes me think Charles Taze Russell had a tad of a problem with scientology. What an offshoot for this loon to go off too, 'hey guys, I'm cool, guess what?!! It was me that invented the Jehovahs Witnesses'.

celtic

I just happened to be born into a life of ridiculousness.

• Seeker
    Seeker

Are scientists human with prejudices? Sure.

Do results get "cooked" on occasion? Yes.

Is there back-biting and rivalry in science? Sometimes.

Yet science is still the most honest approach to understanding of the universe. Science, true science, following scientific principles, is willing to accept any outcome, as long as the evidence indicates it. With all its human failings, science works more often than not. And we owe much of our modern conveniences to the workings of science.

It is no accident that conditions on earth improved in many ways once religion was thrust aside in the Enlightenment. Our long lives, full of opportunity and health, is directly due to science taking over from religion in the running of the world.

• larc
    larc

Seeker,

I liked your editorial comments. Yes, scientists are human, and will make mistakes as you pointed out, but in the long run science is self correcting, as you also pointed out.

I wanted to point out one other flaw in the history of science. Until recently, women were discriminated against as in all occupations, but that has changed.

I marvel at science and I marvel at the glimpse of reality that it has given us.

• Introspection
    Introspection

Of course, when you talk about scientists and religious people you are talking about, well, people. Science and religion, though certainly related is another matter. People's perceptions .. if only they are aware of them.

• larc
    larc

Intro,

I am not sure of what you just said. I interprete the thread to mean that their is a difference between the practice of science and the practice of religion, and the results of each. ???

I don't see how science and religion are related. I need clarification on that.

• Introspection
    Introspection

Oh sorry Larc, I was saying Science and religion are related to scientists and religious people respectively. My main point is simply that people in general have all kinds of psychological loop-de-loops, and their interest in science and religion seems rather secondary to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit