Why do they need to be a corporation?

by bluesapphire 16 Replies latest jw friends

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Since it is illegal for a corporation to have any social interests (a social corporation is an oxymoron), and since the entire purpose of a corporation is to make money for its shareholders, why do they need to be a coroporation to spread the "good news"?

Do the shareholders amass wealth? Are they allowed to sell their stock?

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

from wikipedia:

A corporation is an artificial legal entity (technically, a juristic person) which, while made up of a number of natural persons or other legal entities, has a separate legal identity from them.
  • bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Yes, Drew, I understand what a corporation is. But what I'm saying is why do they need to be one if it's not to make money for the shareholders? Why not just be a business without incorporating?

• dawg
    dawg

Or why not be a religion without being a corporation?

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Exactly my point.

Corporations in the business world shield individuals from personal responsibility for the actions of the corporation. But at the same time, they are required by law to have the best interests of the corporation in mind with any decisions they make.

In other words, there is a conflict of interest because religions are supposed to have the social interests in mind of individuals, as opposed to existing for the purpose of making money. Being a religion AND a corporation is a conflict of interest.

Thus, I tend to believe that the shareholders must make money somehow. Otherwise, why incorporate?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Jehovah told them to get one.

• onacruse
    onacruse

The original incorporation, and subsequent incorporations of international branches of the WTS, is a legal matter.

The shareholders are limited to 500, and there is no stock, are no dividends...it's a voting privilege only.

*** w71 12/1 pp. 726-727 What Its "Right Condition" Means for Us Today ***

After the Society’s directors and its officers were elected by the shareholders there represented, consideration was directed to six amendments that were proposed for the Charter of the Society, which was a Pennsylvania corporation incorporated sixty years earlier, in the year 1884. These would amend Articles 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10. The first amendment resolution that was adopted proposed the enlarging of the purposes of the Society so as to assume properly the great worldwide work that lay ahead. Also, this amendment put God’s name, Jehovah, into the Charter. Amendment Three did away with the original charter’s provision that fixed one’s membership in the Society on the basis of one’s money contributions to the Society; henceforth the membership was to be limited to not more than 500, all of whom were to be chosen on the basis of their active service to Jehovah. As the Watchtower issue of November 1, 1944, said in its report: "This amendment will have the effect of bringing the charter as near to Theocratic arrangement as the law of the land permits." All six amendment resolutions were adopted.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Um.... Let's see.... I had a business. Even though I was a Sole Proprietorship, which meant that the company consisted of me, myself and I, (not necessarily in that order) my accountant advised me to incorporate. Why? So, if the business went bankrupt or the business was sued or some other such godawful thing, nobody could touch me personally or sue me, just the business and its assets. Which was me, but that's besides the point. It protects individuals from getting in trouble. Kind of like when an elder abuses a child.... hmmmm..... let's see? Who gets sued? The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, Inc.! The corporation takes it up the proverbial void surrounded by a sphincter muscle, not the elder who snarfled the garthox with the minor. See? It works! The corporation protects the individual from harm! Man, I should be one of those TV lawyers who advertises on daytime TV!

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Let's follow this. The Corp. is made up of JWs, limited to 500 memebers. And since the Org is based on the scriptual teaching of the FDS, Are all the 500 members of the Annointed? I didn't think so. How come? Did they get left out of the loop again?

• dinah
    dinah

The more you look the more ridiculous they look.

Let's say you have a a little country church with a pastor and maybe four deacons. Okay, the pastor teaches that blood is wrong, the deacons molest children. With no corporate protection they are TOAST.

Let a couple of folks die and some kids come up molested, it is the end of the church. Corporate law basically absolves people of individual responsibility. They can hide behind the corporation. It's been done in workman's comp and discrimination suits for years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit