oh, i'm a pioneer and jehovah gave me $10 for gas

by monophonic 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    "well if you were at meeting that wouldn’t have happened see how it is a protection for us."

how caring!

• R.F.
    R.F.

I confessed to an elder of something I did and it so happened to be on a meeting night that I did wrong and the elders response was "well if you were at meeting that wouldn’t have happened see how it is a protection for us."

What if this had happened on a non-meeting night? Their reasoning can be so.....odd.

That reminds me of when I was a teen. An ice storm came through the area and it caused alot of heavy tree branches to fall all over the place. There was still meeting that morning and one of hte branches went straight through the roof and hit my bed where my pillow was. If I had been home sleeping I could very well be dead or in very bad shape. Dad said the meetings were a protection. So what if this happened on another day? What if I was instead out doing drugs.....would that had been a protection?

• Renegade
    Renegade

I agree with you. I used to think that eveything bad that happened me was Satan up to his 'old tricks', and that every time something good happened to me it was Jehovah, which, I might add, doesn't make sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I find alot of the time, the elders tend to say "Thank you God, for organising this meeting!" It just goes to show that they think humans can't accomplish anything without screwing up miserably. Can we not do something as simple as orgainsing a meeting without God helping us out?

• Confession
    Confession

And what are we to say of all those JWs who've been killed while out in service?

My grandmother was a JW icon in the Detroit area. She'd been pioneering since the mid-1940s, and for many of those years, she was accompanied by her "Pioneer Partner," Norma. But sometime in the early 1990s, Norma, this beautiful, elderly woman, who'd dedicated her entire life to accomplishing "Jehovah's will" of "preaching the Good News of the Kingdom," was approaching a door while in service, when a car ran off the road, hitting and killing her.

A protection?

It's as simple as this: If you're going to use fortunate occurrences as evidence that Jehovah is protecting his servants, you must also deal with the multitude of unfortunate occurrences as well. And if your mind starts searching for artful explanations for all those bad things--but eagerly accepting the good things as "divine" without contest...you are experiencing a ducky case of "cognitive dissonance."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit