Went to the grocery store and...

by Cindi_67 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Kind of hard for them to say it's pagan, pagans didn't have Turkey, but they did have days off from work!

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

I went to the grocery store on Thanksgiving day with my DF'd mother, who was in town for the holidays from out of state. We went to Walmart and I figured on seeing a dub or two. It was the funniest thing, I saw a MS, from my former hall, he was the one that convinced me to start attending again after a couple years of inactivity. He was looking over the turkeys and other meat, no doubt for his "its only a big meal its not Thanksgiving" meal. He is a very large man, probably 6'3 and about 280, so he's easy to spot. He tried "hiding" with his head WAY DOWN in a meat cooler to avoid eye contact with me. Then I stood there and lingered for a few moments extra talking to my mom, about what kind of sausage to purchase. The MS, stood there like completely still, and wouldn't move until we walked away from the area. It was so funny, how this big dude reacted to a couple DF'd individuals ruining his Thanksgiving shopping at Walmart.

I told mom afterwards who it was, and she said, "Well you should have told me, I would have enjoyed putting him on the spot and embarrassing him in front of an entire Walmart store." I told her he was a nice man, just under cult control, and we had a good laugh about it. Mom has been out for 20+ years now, and loves giving the dubs a hard time in public.

• beksbks
    beksbks

They are "no part of this world", and must take every opportunity to make that clear.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR
    You are not a very good JW if you don't take advantage of "incidental witnessing" opportunities

DAMN!! Now you tell me, I was never a bloody good witness. I'm not sure I can get over that! Poppy

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Ok, this is my childhood. EVERY time a person mentioned a holiday, my mom had to say how we were JWs and didn't celebrate. If they gave the slightest indication of interest, curiosity or ???ANYTHING, OMG. They got the spiel. I became her for a few years. I got over it. Actually, so has she! Now she just says thank you, I hope you enjoy your holiday. I wish she would have gotten a clue about that etiquette when I was a kid. I am glad for her now though-she is a lot more like a normal person in that way. I think spending a few holidays with her kids and grandkids have softened her up a bit (though she does make a point to give gifts on any day BUT Xmas:) )

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

We were always told at the Kingdom Hall that we shouldnt even say "happy holidays" in return, we simply were to either say "thank you" or we could use it as an opportunity to witness.

• oompa
    oompa

What's wrong with "Heck yeah...I got laid 4 times!"........oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit