Went to the grocery store and...

by Cindi_67 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

I went to the grocery store on Sunday and there was a lady in front of us paying for her purchase. I believe she was a Witness because the clerk asked if she had a good Thanksgiving and she said " Oh, I don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but had a nice day off." I felt horrible for the clerk, she looked like, "Geez, what did I say". What is the point anyway? Why do they need to even say they don't celebrate the holiday? She could've just said, Oh I had a nice day off, and go about her business. Isn't that stupid though? I don't know if it's me, because I can care less, but even if I was a JW in good standing, I would've not said that. Some can be so duuuhhh. Now when people tell me, happy whatever, I say thank you, you too.

I just needed to tell somebody.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

I'm with you Cindy, even when I was a witless I tried to avoid those toe curling conversations, things like "Merry Christmas" and I would reply: thanks have a nice holiday!!

I was thinking the other day how I deliberately avoided appointments at doctors, dentists, hairdressers around this time of year so I didn't have to talk about it. Guess I never had the evangelising spirit!

Anyway Cindy, Merry Christmas.. although I've been 'out' over 2 years, this is the first one I'm really looking forward to celebrating!

Poppy

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

My parents always said it was OK to wish people a happy holiday. Just don't single out one event. It's always seemed self righteous to me to just come out and advertise you don't celebrate anything.

• brinjen
    brinjen

As a witless I just thanked those when they wished me a merry xmas, I figured it was a gesture of good will why make an issue of it? I used the time off work angle, everyone appreciates that.

• Gregor
    Gregor

You are not a very good JW if you don't take advantage of "incidental witnessing" opportunities

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I always just thanked people when they wished me a happy holiday.

Its a nice gesture on their part and I always appreciated it.

Your right, they probably were a witness and did enjoy the time off!!

thanks for sharing,

purps

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..Jehovah`s Witness`s tell everybody they don`t celebrate ThanksGiving..Then they go home and stuff their faces with "It`s not a ThanksGiving Turkey Dinner!"..Eating Fast.....Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

Some JWs wear it as a badge of honor that they are supposedly so different and always try to use it as an impetus for a conversation whenever they have a chance. That stupidity of always looking for every opportunity to "witness".

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

She should've just said: "Oh, I had a nice day off, thank you" or something like that. It sounded very self righteous. For the first time, I felt very good about not telling anybody I am part of them.

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

By saying "I don't celebrate Thanksgiving", she was making a stand for the truth! LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit