Disfellowshipped without knowing

by faundy 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• MikeA
    MikeA

I wondered the same thing and the answer is definitely, "YES!" I was done in absentia, without the slightest howdy-do on anyone's "official" part. But hey...... so what?

Unlike the recommendation to "leave it alone" I would say go ahead and ask. Do you really care if you find out you weren't and the act of questioning raises a flag in their silly heads? On the other hand, if you haven't divested yourself of their company, then I can understand the desire to "be quiet about it."

Personally, I would want to know so that I could then find out of there is any libel or slander associated with it and any possible legal action you could take in response. But that is me...... I have been disfellowshipped for a very long time. I really don't care what they think or say, unless it were to alter the conditions of my employment, at which time I would have them for breakfast!

• martinwellborne
    martinwellborne

Comical to see them squirm.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey, Witnesses don't have to wait until the announcement. Some will gladly pass you by on the hint that you might be "bad association". One delightful sister once encountered my husband and I on the street. As she passed by, she warmly welcomed the DOG.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Hey, Witnesses don't have to wait until the announcement. Some will gladly pass you by on the hint that you might be "bad association". One delightful sister once encountered my husband and I on the street. As she passed by, she warmly welcomed the DOG. jgnat

My dog would have bit her for shunning me. I have a very 'theocratic' chihuahua that senses when someone has evil thoughts towards her master and will defend his honor. Besides, she hates bookbags with a passion.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

YES. I was a couple years ago without them saying a single word to me. AFTER the announcement was read and I heard about it, I appealed the decision and it WAS reversed making the elders look like huge asses when they announced that they mistakenly announced that I was "no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses when the announcement should have read that I WAS one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

Kwin

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

In general, Willyloman is right: You SHOULD have been notified and told you had 7 days to appeal, even if you didn't attend the judicial hearing. You should also have been invited to teh original judicial hearing also, of course.

Those are the WTS rules. That having been said, they also can break those rules.

Two years ago in late winter I was invited to a judicial committee hearing. I refused to attend. I sent a letter to all the elders stating that I had not claimed to be a JW for several years, and as such should be left alone, according the the WTS's written policy. I threatened to sue their asses if they didn't start following the WTS's own policy on the matter.

I didn't hear a word. NOTHING. Then, six months or more later, I heard third hand that it was announced that I was no longer one of JWs. They'd DFed me without a word to me about it!!

Local elders and the WTS can do whatever the hell they want in a lot of circumstances to make things easier for themselves, and that's what happened in my case. They DFed me without following any of their written policies. It can and does happen in some circumstances, and I'm fairly certain that in my case it happened at the direction of the WTS itself. Because of the threat of a lawsuit, the Society would have had to be involved. They would have been given copies of my letter to the elders.

S4

• onacruse
    onacruse

Organized to Accomplish Our Ministry (1989 edition, pp. 147-148)

IF THE DECISION IS TO DISFELLOWSHIP

When a judicial committee handling a case of wrongdoing reaches the conclusion that the unrepentant person should be disfellowshipped, how should they deal with him?

It is appropriate for the committee to speak with him and let him know of their decision to disfellowship him from the congregation. They clearly state the Scriptural reason(s) for the disfellowshipping action. When informing the wrongdoer of their decision, the judicial committee should tell him that if he believes that a serious error in judgment has been made and he wishes to appeal the decision of the committee, he may do so by writing a letter clearly stating his reasons for the appeal. He will be allowed seven days for doing this. If such written appeal is received, the body of elders should arrange for an appeal committee to rehear the case. They may use local elders or elders from nearby congregations; they should be men who are experienced and qualified. The body of elders should request one of the traveling overseers to suggest who might serve on the appeal committee. Every effort should be made to conduct the appeal within one week after the written appeal is received. If there is an appeal, announcement of the disfellowshipping will be held in abeyance. In the meantime the accused person will be restricted from commenting and praying at meetings or enjoying special privileges of service.

If the wrongdoer does not indicate that he wishes to appeal, the judicial committee should explain to him the need for repentance and what steps he can take toward being reinstated in due time. This would be both helpful and kind, with the hope that he will change his ways and in time qualify to return to Jehovah's organization-2 Cor. 2:6, 7.

Related to this:

*** w87 9/1 p. 14 "A Time to Speak"—When? **

If Mary had reported first to the body of elders [regarding knowledge of a JW having had an abortion], they would have been faced with a similar decision. How would they handle confidential information coming into their possession? They would have had to make a decision based on what they felt Jehovah and his Word required of them as shepherds of the flock. If the report involved a baptized Christian who was actively associated with the congregation, they would have had to weigh the evidence as did Mary in determining if they should proceed further. If they decided that there was a strong possibility that a condition of "leaven" existed in the congregation, they might have chosen to assign a judicial committee to look into the matter. (Galatians 5:9, 10) If the one under suspicion had, in effect, resigned from being a member, not having attended any meetings for some time and not identifying herself as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, they might choose to let the matter rest until such time as she did begin to identify herself again as a Witness.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    YES. I was a couple years ago without them saying a single word to me. AFTER the announcement was read and I heard about it, I appealed the decision and it WAS reversed making the elders look like huge asses when they announced that they mistakenly announced that I was "no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses when the announcement should have read that I WAS one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

That's funny that they would explain it that way. How many times have you heard an announcement that "xxxx is one of Jehovah's Witnesses?" Being one of Jehovah's Witnesses is a non-event. Why didn't they just admit that they made a bad mistake?

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I know a person who was DF'd while unconscious in the hospital! She received blood and didn't realize it. Once the Elders found out she was DF'd without ever knowing.

Needless to say she was pretty shocked when she gained consciousness.

• White Dove
    White Dove
    DF'd while unconscious? Unbelievable! How do the elders get medical info on people, anyway?!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit