NBC, here's what I think of you -- WTBTS

by Fatfreek 29 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

The WTS reaction to the NBC piece is that of the classic but unsuccesful spinmeister. Parts of it remind me of that river in Egypt, dNile. Mostly, however, it totally shocked me that they chose to subscribe to some expert who implies that pedophilia is some recently discovered phenomena.

Len Miller

• M.J.
    M.J.

whoa, I've been gone for turkey day! What happened? Did some program air on NBC on pedophiles? Links?

• Priest73
    Priest73

<insert Dirty joke here>

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

The official WT site :

Their notice on that site:
    Knowledge of Child Abuse
    Progressive Understanding for Society in General

"People didn't have the body of knowledge 18 or 20 years ago to say that this is something that will harm your child emotionally, if you don't address it. Parents didn't know the seriousness ... and the long-term effects."

Dr. Gail Bethea-Jackson, LCSW-C, B.C.D., specializing in victimization, children and adolescent issues, and post-traumatic stress disorder
    TRT: 1:28
    Transcript (in pdf format)

I'll try to fetch a link to that NBC video. However, by now it may have been dropped. If someone else finds and posts it before me, it won't hurt my feelings.

Len Miller

• KW13
    KW13

go on youtube and search NBC Jehovah's.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

What did I miss? What did I miss????

Someone please give me a link!

nj

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>People didn't have the body of knowledge 18 or 20 years ago to say that this is something that will harm your child emotionally

Remember, we're talking about 20 years ago here! With all the knuckle-dragging, and woolly-mammoth hunting, added to society's focus in general on achieving "fire", you can understand why we hadn't yet caught on to pedophilia being a bad thing. *roll eyes until they hurt*

Observant poster Brinjen once quoted this from the 1997 Watchtower article 'Trust In An Imperfect World':
    Notice that Paul mentions attitudes that have to do with the Christian ministry. How can a Christian minister serve others if his hands are not pure, if he is not a man of integrity? The head of an Irish religious order who recently resigned well illustrates the point. He admitted that he "allowed a paedophile priest to continue working with children long after his child abuse became known," according to TheIndependent newspaper. The account explained that the abuse extended over 24 years. The priest was jailed for four years, but think of the suffering imposed upon the children he assaulted during those years because his overseer lacked the moral integrity to take action!

So apparently "The Independent" had accumulated a "body of knowledge" on this topic more than 20 years ago, as had the legal system under which the pedophile was convicted.

Wow.

Dave

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Thanks KW13,

I see there are 3 separate hyperlinks on the first page alone. Looks like there are many folks who wish that this story doesn't die.

Here's a link to the first one. Perhaps it will stay constant.

Len Miller

• hubert
    hubert

ex-nj and m.j., I bttt'd the threads for you.

THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT VIDEOS, ONE FROM NBC NIGHTLY NEWS, THE OTHER FROM WSMV A LOCAL NASHVILLE STATION.

Hubert

• KW13
    KW13

Thanks KW13,

I see there are 3 separate hyperlinks on the first page alone. Looks like there are many folks who wish that this story doesn't die.

Here's a link to the first one. Perhaps it will stay constant.

Len Miller

Yeah i think its quite the popular Story

anyhoo, my pleasure fatfreak...i feel really rude now lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit