The Black/African American Perspective on the Watchtower Organization

by XOCO 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• justhuman
    justhuman

Very interesting observations...I didn't had any experience of afroamericans, or any other coloured JW due to the fact that in my country there few colour JW's and those they belong to the english speaking congs, that they are also quite few.

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul
    I teach in south central Los Angeles. The congregations in this area are very "healthy" and thriving. I have had a few fake studies with Black brothers from the area and have attended the meetings there. I have concluded that there just isn't the same kind of mass exodus/awakening from the WT in black congregations that we are finding in higher socio economic areas. Uneducated inner city blacks just don't have the tools available to them to challenge the WT. Further, the WT is very, very appealing to disenfranchised blacks in poverty because with out any sort of education at all, you can become a WT heavy in your own congregation.

The doctrine that if one puts spiritual things first in life all other things will be added to you is also very appealing to poor people because it suggests economic stability. So, live a shitty life in south central, have your kids join gangs and take drugs or become a JW and become a "respectable man with economic stability." It's a no brainer. Becoming a JW or staying one will always be a better deal to inner city black folks. A mass exodus in the black community is very, very far away.

I grew up in South-Central. I know many elders in the area. You are right to an extent. Because the Spanish Congs. are taking over the area. many blacks have migrated to the outer areas of LA and become inactive. They have seen the light in some cases. I know of MANY that start off strong and fade away sloooowly. They see the wealth and big houses and start to work Overtime. Many in LA are taking meds because of the depression and guilt. As mentioned, you are definitely correct in your assesment!!

• Trygon
    Trygon

Dear Lord. So first black people are discrimated against and now people say that everyone of them is loving and caring, far more then a white person. Black people are human. White people are human. Humans and human. There is no differance. When will people learn to accept that no matter what colour, faith or apperance at the end of the day we are all the same thing; a human.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

If anyone were to ask me what my heart says - it says that it sees colored skinned people in far more situations which include social touching and dancing and eating. It sees much less costly refinement but far more love and grass roots community bonding. But that is only my perception coming from a white background where I feel an utter lack of love and inclusion so I am aware that my perceptions may well be conditioned. I wonder what impartial studies of human behavior have concluded about such things. I recall that guy on UK tv (Bruce....) who visited some tribes around the world and saying how within weeks they made him feel completely accepted - something we seem to have lost - the will to grasp strangers and include them as one of us and mainly because we possible feel we have no culture to offer them. I think many young people feel lost and without a culture - both for themselves and to give to others - which I'm sure they would absolutely love to be able to do. Most humans want to please whenever possible.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

However, I've seen that it can cut both ways. I once knew a family who were all dark-skinned. Lo and behold, along came a light-skinned child! And I mean LIGHT-skinned. Tongues were set to wagging all over the place, but the saving grace for the mother was that the light-skinned child looked more like the father than the darker-skinned ones. Still, that child was treated like an outcast.

Most African Americans who can trace their ancestry back to slave owners are mostlikely the products of white/black unions. That being said it is possible for a lighter skinned child to be born of dark skinned folks. I've even read of a black child being born to a white couple in South Africa. It's all in the genes.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Oh in black congregations we danced more...and when I say dance I mean booty shaking.

• snowbird
    snowbird

At the risk of beating this subject to death, I have to agree that the WTS showed a callous disregard for the plight of Blacks.

Just think how many brilliant Black kids turned down scholarships because of its teachings against college education.

The same thing would have happened to my daughter if I had allowed it. I told her to get an education and pioneer later.

I'm so glad she listened.

Sylvia

• XOCO
    XOCO

At the risk of beating this subject to death, I have to agree that the WTS showed a callous disregard for the plight of Blacks.

Just think how many brilliant Black kids turned down scholarships because of its teachings against college education.

The same thing would have happened to my daughter if I had allowed it. I told her to get an education and pioneer later.

I'm so glad she listened.

i agree w/u snowbird b/c i see it as child abuse i mean i cried over it that day when the elders consuled me about college. i mean if i listen to them i could not by food or put gas in the car because of the problems that we are living in. i'm soooo happy that my mom does not act like one of the elders lol! b/c she has always suffered for me and my siblings

• XOCO
    XOCO
    Oh in black congregations we danced more...and when I say dance I mean booty shaking

4 some reason in my KH we could dance as if we were "booty shaking" but we could not do (wining competitions) its a type of carrebbean dance move b/c it was provocative and the girls had 2 bump and grind w/da boys lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit