Hi all....wow

by -Tank 18 Replies latest jw friends

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I was only 15 when I got involved, but there where things that I noticed that didn't make sense. I could not figure out how all these people "believed" the same thing on their own since it appeared they where just being told what to believe. Of course the Elder I studied with at the time helped me bury those doubts and I went on to be a JW for 7 years.

Good job in figuring this out early. You saved yourself from a lot of hell.

• *summer*
    *summer*

Hello Tank and Welcome...

Just like you, I am not a JW. But I started a study about one year ago now. To me, JWs are "reserved" and not too well known in the general public {except for their stand on blood} So I always saw them as very proper, neatly dressed, family oriented. I had NO idea of this tight hold on the members. NO idea they blindly follow the Watchtower's instructions. NO idea they translated the Bible to suit their own teachings.

The more I was warned about the dangers of the Internet, the more it picked my curiosity. I first started reading on their official website. Then, one site led to another, and I ended up here {which I also thought was a JWs site} The night I started reading into "The Best of" was the real eye opener. Just like you, I was shocked. But also very deflated and feeling a great void. A void I still feel... I SO thought I had found THE right path:-(

So, I also came VERY close to being sucked into this religion...was even planning my baptism. But now, I want NO part whatsoever of any man made religion, cult, sect, or whatever. Everything that man touches gets dirty! And believe me, you did the right thing the day they buzzed your intercom! I still have weekly contact with them. Don't ask me why...I don't have an answer right now.

Keep reading on this site and yes, you saved yourself a lot of grief. We are both very fortunate. Too many were not as fortunate:-(

*summer*

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear -Tank,

WELCOME to the form!! I am SO VERY HAPPY you woke up before you made a horrible decision that would ruin the rest of your life..not to mention any children you may ever have!!

My husband and I were raised in the cult, and it wasn't until the last 3 years that we have been out. Many familes end up in divirce when one wants to leave the organization. Stick around, and you will learn of many many others stories, and you will no doubt be more and more sure of your decision not to join!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• changeling
    changeling

Hi Tank!

You are an incredibly lucky man!

Welcome!

changeling

• poppers
    poppers

Hello Tank, and welcome to JWD. I read both of your threads with interest. You sound like a very decent guy and I am sorry you are in this situation. I have no answers for you, but do want to wish you well. Stick around.

• spiritboi
    spiritboi

Did anyone else know, before they got into it, or were thinking about about getting into it, that they had this incredible hold on there members?

Nope! I was fooled into it at the age of 15! Who would want to get into it if they know that their life will be controlled by that damned borg?

No, it's not just having to attend 1 or 2 meetings per week and reading a few scriptures a day once you are in.

You need to :

1) Give up your ability to think, reason and question. You will be disfellowshipped if you dare to question them.
    If you have a JW wife after u are DF'd, it will be hell for u for the rest of your life.

2) You cannot celebrate birthdays, christmas, etc.. No singing of national anthem, no saluting of flag, no military service.

3) you need to minimise your association with your worldly colleagues, friends and relatives.

4) you need to be their literature salesman

AND ...

even after you have left them for 2 whole years, you may still be unable to sleep. You may need to jump out of bed in the middle of the night and vent your frustration in JWD like what I did...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/146006/1.ashx

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Hello Tank, Good decision.

I was born in the borg.

• ChelseaScott
    ChelseaScott

I didn't have a chance to be fooled into joining the JW cult. I was born into it. However thank goodness my mother is as smart as she is, and not afraid to take a stand. We (my mother, brother and myself) are nolonger in the cult. My dad... well he is still a JW, split with my mom and won't have anything to do with us kids. I love how this religion of "truth" and "love" tells it's members, the religion comes before family.

• -Tank
    -Tank

Wow, alot of people born into it.

I think NOW where I might be had I have answered the door, and that image is scary.

What made you as a individual decide it was not the truth? What made you turn away?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit