Stupid questions

by millymollymandy 13 Replies latest jw friends

• millymollymandy
    millymollymandy

Things I have always wondered about JWs but never asked my boyfriend about (because I thought I would sound stupid!)... at least none of you know who I am

- What goes on at JW wedding ceremonies? Are they that much different from other Christian weddings?
    - And what about funerals, for that matter?
    - At what age are young people considered to be first able to decide whether they get baptised or not?
    - Are JWs obliged to throw away/burn birthday and Christmas cards and presents that get given to them by unknowing non-JWs?
    - I have heard conflicting things about what is supposed to happen to people other religions when The End arrives. What exactly IS supposed to happen to those not in 'the truth'?
    - If JWs don't belong to this world, shouldn't they try to build a spaceship and travel far far away, to a distant galaxy? Or at least to Mars?

Ok, the last question isn't serious, but answers to the others would be appreciated

• ninja
    ninja

everybody not in the truth gets zapped...although since I left....they (or specifically my wife) say(s) to me....they (she) cant really say for sure....although when I was in they (she) were/was definite...

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well, I've been out for a long time, but here are the answers as I remember it:

- What goes on at JW wedding ceremonies? Are they that much different from other Christian weddings?
    As I remember, the groom and best man wait at the front of the hall, bride walks up the aisle, they listen to a boring sermon, take vows, and walk back down the aisle together. The music is "kingdom" music, very banal.

Following a brief mention of the deceased and his/her family, there is a sermon/sales talk that can last up to an hour. Begins and ends with prayer, and "kingdom" music - a couple of songs. Where I grew up it was followed by a meal at the family home, potluck.

- At what age are young people considered to be first able to decide whether they get baptised or not?
    I'll leave this for another person to answer.

- Are JWs obliged to throw away/burn birthday and Christmas cards and presents that get given to them by unknowing non-JWs?
    Well, as I remember we used to throw out cards, but keep presents under the rationalization that it was ok to keep the presents because "we aren't celebrating even if they are." Greedy, eh?

- I have heard conflicting things about what is supposed to happen to people other religions when The End arrives. What exactly IS supposed to happen to those not in 'the truth'?
    They are all supposed to die in terrific cataclysms, raining fire, earthquakes, etc. Extremely terrifying, will wipe out 99.99999% of the people on earth and leave a miraculously squeaky clean paradise for the survivors.

- If JWs don't belong to this world, shouldn't they try to build a spaceship and travel far far away, to a distant galaxy? Or at least to Mars?
    Yes!

• *summer*
    *summer*
    Yes!

LMAO!!!

• millymollymandy
    millymollymandy
    They are all supposed to die in terrific cataclysms, raining fire, earthquakes, etc. Extremely terrifying, will wipe out 99.99999% of the people on earth and leave a miraculously squeaky clean paradise for the survivors.

I'm not sure what this off the WT site means then... are they basically saying 'no' when they actually mean 'yes'?!

Do they believe that they are the only ones who will be saved?

No. Millions that have lived in centuries past and who were not Jehovah's Witnesses will come back in a resurrection and have an opportunity for life. Many now living may yet take a stand for truth and righteousness before the "great tribulation," and they will gain salvation. Moreover, Jesus said that we should not be judging one another. We look at the outward appearance; God looks at the heart. He sees accurately and judges mercifully. He has committed judgment into Jesus' hands, not ours.— Matthew 7:1-5 ; 24:21 ; 25:31 .

• Forscher
    Forscher
    - At what age are young people considered to be first able to decide whether they get baptised or not? I'll leave this for another person to answer.

Good move. Although the officially stated standard is that a person be "mature enough" to understand and make such a commitment, in practice that is left up to the local elders. So in theory there is no limit on how young and I have heard of kids pretty young getting baptized.

Forscher

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

I don't know about other Christian weddings but a JW one is a few kind words about the Bride and Groom, then a talk (seminar) about the Bible's marital arrangement, then exchange of vows written by the Watchtower (not allowed to write their own) then exchange of rings, then sign the papers, then announcement they are H and W, then kiss. No outside music or rice throwing allowed.

1/2 about the person's life (mostly though about their accomplishment as a JW) and 1/2 a preaching talk (sermon) about the religion.

No age really. The younger the better if they have enough knowledge of JW dogma.

Not really but I wouldn't display them on my shelf that's for sure!

Technically, correct me if I'm wrong gang, the "wicked" will be destroyed. Who they will be is sometimes pretty vague in the WT but it is assumed they are non-JWs.

JWs do belong to this world. They are not supposed to be "part" of this world (wickedness, spirit, etc.)

HEY, THAT WAS FUN!

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

You will find contradiction and misdirection in ample amounts if you pay any attention to the "teachings" of the JW belief system.

It is meant to confuse and propagate a false sense of knowledge. Follow your instincts and be certain that all is not as it should be.

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

They are saying yes when they mean no.

The many they are refering to have seen the error of their ways and become Witnesses in good standing, not just honest hearted believers in Christ who decide not to become Jehovah's Witnesses. Those resurrected from the dead will only remain alive if they become Witnesses in good standing. If they do not, Jehovah will kill them a second time with no hope of resurrection.

The Watchtower Society employs a lot of misdirection and plausible deniability. They refer to it as Theocratic Warfare. Jehovah's Witnesses are too afraid to say exactly what they mean.

• monophonic
    monophonic

when i was 'in', if you weren't a jw, God will kill you.

i guess very recently they've stopped stressing that (only God knows who he will murder), BUT, God will kill you for sure if you were a jw once, and now don't believe.

either way, God is fond of killing people and jws can't wait for it to happen.

of course some jws see beyond this and hope the watchtower society gets less idiotic, so they stay 'in', and unfortunately under-education and studying anything for yourself outside of the publications of the watchtower society, probably one of the most successful publishing companies on the planet, is discouraged.

i'm hoping my agent can successfully pitch my novel to the watchtower society as it will be a #1 best seller like the rest of their publications going out to hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit