Special Needs talk at our Hall tonite...

by CaptainSchmideo 34 Replies latest jw friends

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Talk was about appreciating Jehovah's provisions, something like that...

The PO gave the talk. Apparently, after the last CO visit, our congo got a letter from headquarters, informing us that our numbers are wayyyy down. Several inactive publishers, several more irregular, poor meeting attendance, and our hourly average is less than the national average (8.3 compared to 9.9). He said that to his recollection, he has never seen a letter of this type ever come from headquarters in his years as an elder.

He then proceeds to give an illustration of someone hiring workers for a project. They get all these provisions and such from the job, but after a while, they start to slack off, but still expect to get the same provisions as before.

I had to laugh at that one. How about an illustration from the point of view of the workers, who sign up for a job with promises of a fantastic paycheck at the end, complete with a brand new home, perfect health, and eternal life. Except the foreman keeps reporting that the check has been delayed again, and again, and again; who says that we should be grateful we have such a job anyway; that he's surprised that we would be so crass as to hiring on simply for the goal of the paycheck; who keeps "simplifying" the benefits so that whatever the workers used to get, the tools that they use, the conditions they work under, keep getting worse every year; oh, and some overseers from the company have been sexually attacking the children of the workers. Gee, I wonder what the morale, work ethic, and absentee rate would be for a work crew dealing with all this?....

I was surprised at the statistics(don't have exact numbers, didn't have a pen). Sounded like about over 20% missing at any meeting. Tardiness was a big issue too. Over 20 people showed up late last Sunday alone! (Except for me. I wasn't there. I was watching PBS and getting a better education than the Awake has to offer...)

This used to be one of the most gung-ho congos in the area. Always seemed to be the host congregation at the Circuit Assemblies, the CO would bring the DO to our hall when he came down from the mountain to speak with us mere mortals. The PO has got to be feeling the weight of the shame for this happening "on his watch". (I don't have any particular hard feelings toward him. He seems decent enough, has been a Witness since he was a kid back in the 50's. I understand he's hard to deal with as a PO for other elders. One elder stepped down, and quit going altogether a while back, because he was getting all the $hit assigments and being sent to Bumf*** Egypt as a visting speaker all the time, instead of it being fairly distributed. But that's another story).

Anyway, I think it's another showing of the cracking and peeling of the facade. But until the ones running the show actually show an real understanding of the underlying reasons why enthusiasm is dimming, it's not going to improve.

• slmdf
    slmdf

Damn... I'm just sorry you still have to go and sit through crap like that.

But... thanks for reporting back. At least you can put the information to good use. I agree. I think we'll all start hearing more of this kind of thing.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

The beatings will continue until morale improves......

RD

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Hmmm, interesting, Wednesday, there's a pedo expose on NBC and Thursday there's a special needs talk about attendance. If this isn't the textbook definition of dense then I don't know what is.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I can reply to the special needs. Meeting attendance is becoming abysmal. Why is this? It is blatantly obvious that, when it is worth attending, people will attend without being hounded. People only need to be hounded when the meetings are not worth attending.

They can talk all they want. But, until they make the meetings worth attending, meeting attendance is going to continue to become worse. When they keep making all these rules, taking away every reason for one to attend one by one, and making the meetings so boring that if you seen one you seen them all, they are assuring themselves that it will not be worth it for people to attend in the future. And, with all the cookie cutter meetings and canned presentations and comments, no wonder things are so boring.

Then there are false promises. If I were to work at a secular job and my paychecks kept getting lost and no one did more than making specious promises to fix the problems, it would only be a matter of time before I would start pulling no shows. And, when the manager called me, I would state that, without actual paychecks and not just promises thereof, it is not worth my time and energy to work there any more. That in fact happens with many MLMs.

They think people are wicked for working solely for a paycheck. It happens in secular work. Why not with religions? If it is not worth the total cost to follow a religion, then there is no reason to continue. There is nothing wicked with that. If they want people to start attending all the meetings and going out in field circus all the time, they had better make sure it's worth it. If they continue pruning out any reasons why one might want to go to meetings (like the opposite sex, genuine social connections, work and employment that is going to sustain one, and the like), there is no way people are going to continue going to meetings. As it is, people are still going to way too many boasting sessions and out in too much field circus for what they are getting for it.

• iveseenthelight
    iveseenthelight
    I had to laugh at that one. How about an illustration from the point of view of the workers, who sign up for a job with promises of a fantastic paycheck at the end, complete with a brand new home, perfect health, and eternal life. Except the foreman keeps reporting that the check has been delayed again, and again, and again; who says that we should be grateful we have such a job anyway; that he's surprised that we would be so crass as to hiring on simply for the goal of the paycheck; who keeps "simplifying" the benefits so that whatever the workers used to get, the tools that they use, the conditions they work under, keep getting worse every year; oh, and some overseers from the company have been sexually attacking the children of the workers. Gee, I wonder what the morale, work ethic, and absentee rate would be for a work crew dealing with all this?....

Excellent...so true!

• Enjoying freedom
    Enjoying freedom

That is definitely an illustration to keep in mind!

And what a good illustration it was - you clearly attended the theocratic ministry school when you were working on "Use of Illustrations"! LOL!!!!

• snowbird
    snowbird

That illustration is so true to the goings-on in the WTS.

You can only stay pumped up about a cause for so long; the initial rush will soon begin to fade if no results are seen in a certain amount of time.

The meetings used to be unbearable to me, too. There is nothing new or stimulating anymore. My 18-year old daughter still goes, and I can see the weariness and boredom beginning to take its toll on her.

They can give all the Special Needs talks they want, until the WTS repents and turns from its sham Christian course, people will continue to drop out - mentally if not physically.

Sylvia

• blondie
    blondie

I'm sure that was not a letter just sent to your congregation. I'm sure it was a form letter sent to many congregations. A jw from our old congregation says that even on Sunday many are missing. If it weren't for the "visitors" from other congregations, there would be a drop of 60%.

• dawg
    dawg

Good, that means money is down too.... I hope these bastards burn! Figuratively of cuorse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit