Tried to get my mom to watch the NBC segment last night...

by Elyse867 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Elyse867
    Elyse867

She wouldn't watch it... I told her all about it, and she of course started defending it before I was even finished. Then we got into a long discussion, which was pretty one-sided, her telling me why the WTS has the 'truth'. I told her all my concerns, and tried asking the 'if the WTS is God's one and only 'channel' to Earth, why all the changes in doctrine' question, and she of course gave me the 'light gets brighter' BS answer. I tried reasoning with her... I've never heard her talk so fast... and I've never seen her do it from 'this side.' She didn't really make sense. I was actually really saddened, because I finally realized what a hold the WTS has on people. I tried telling her about the letter to Hitler, and she said, "WHO wrote that?" I told her it was the 'organization.' She said, "No, I don't want to hear any of that. That's apostate material you're reading. Those people are out there to turn you away. It's SATAN." ........<sigh> Then she started crying and hugging my son, telling me basically 'it gets her' that my kids are going to die. I don't know what to do..... I'm so upset over the fact that she will never be free, and she will always be worried, stressed out, depressed, that her kids and their kids will die at Armageddon. She also said, "I bet you haven't talked to Jehovah in quite some time." I told her "No, I pray every day, Mom." I could tell that's not what she wanted to hear. Anyway, today sucks... </sigh>

Elyse (of the "I'm killing my kids" class)

• tere1998
    tere1998

Elyse - HUGS to you. My mom also defended the org when I told her about the pedophile cases. Her response was that Satan is working very hard in these last days... I said yeah, but by using what is supposedly God's organization on Earth? Went right over her head... she refuses to hear anything bad about the JWs. It is very sad how close-minded they are, and how much fear they live in. Be glad that you are not enslaved in that horrible cult anymore.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

What gets me about this scenario (not much different from mine)

So the great and almighty Jehovah is going to slaughter the kids? And what purpose does this serve anyway? How is that loving? And who said that our family had an "IN" anyway? I thought God was suppose to read hearts hmmm? I remember hearing about how just because a person was a JW didn't mean that they were going to be in the paradise. So, who said our parents, family etc are going to be making through the Big A?

Just a little too judgmental for my taste.

I am really sorry about this Elyse. It hurts, I know.

• *summer*
    *summer*

Sad story...

Your mum does not want to hear and see. And it seems the more you will push your views on her, the more she will retire into her JW shell.

Keep the faith. A seed has been planted. Strange developments have been known to unexpectedly happen...with time.

And this NBC segment is bound to have great repercussions.

Today sucks? Hopefully tomorrow will feel better...

*summer*

• dawg
    dawg

Yea, this is usually how it goes.... I'm with Jehovah you're against him. I will not read anything that may show me where I'm wrong, and you're an apostate no matter what you say. Turn to Jehovah you idiot. THat about sums up my parents....sounds like yours also... sad

• avishai
    avishai

Tell her to call me, i have hard evidence, not "apostate lies"

• tula
    tula
    tried reasoning with her... I've never heard her talk so fast...

I have observed this as a common trait with many JWs. I wonder if its because as long as they talk they don't have to hear or think about what you are saying. Sometimes what they are giving as a reply has absolutely no recognition of what you just said and is a non-answer. It's like a memorized rehearsed defense of the wts.

Why are their minds so impenetrable? If you cannot converse and have a active listener...how can they be reached?

For a group that "prides themselves" on reasoning skills (they don't really have them, but their book titles imply to them that they do)...why do they not listen at least, in order to know what they are refuting?

How can they be reached? How can you make them pay attention to what you are saying before their mouth goes into gear?

• flipper
    flipper

Elyse- I'm sorry to hear that your mom allowed emotion to rule over reason. My ex-wife a devout JW does this crying game with my 22 year old son, " Oh! your going to die at armaggeddon! All is lost, I love you son. A mother doesn't want her son to die ! " And on and on, Blah, Blah. It is just pathetic how this witness cult controls people ! You have my sympathy Elyse. Peace out to you, Mr. Flipper

• dawg
    dawg

Flipper, I swear his works... try it! Whenever they use that guilt trip say "that's what I'm worried about for you, that it's you that's going to die at armageddon defending men and denying the truth, God wants us to worship him that way". Then bring up 1 Thess. make sure of all things and hold onto what is right "are you making sure of all thngs and holding onto what is right when you refuse to read information that may expose the truth about the GB? WHere does the bible tell you that it's wrong to question men?" It works pretty well. Whatever they say just turn it around...

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

My parents were messed up on a whole different level. I simply had to move on, and years later, my dad is scattered in the Pacific Ocean, and my mom is in a pink box in our bedroom. I gave up a long time ago on them, but I concentrate on the wife and especially my 2 crazy kids.

Some day we will all know the truth. Unfortunately, no one has been able to give us a report on just how it is.

I think I will just worry about where we are at this point in time. Just love your mom while she is still here. I miss mine all the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit