Now you have left, are you donating more money to charities ?

by aligot ripounsous 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

I'm still a nominal JW, get literature at the hall, use the premises (power, heating etc.) so that I feel that I have to bring a financial contribution to the organization. However, I find the WTS's constant calling for money, especially at this time of the year, rather irritating and as far as I'm concerned, it is utterly counter-productive since I think that I will donate less this year than in previous years. So, I envisage to balance this reduction with an increase of donations to charities : french doctors, salvation army, handicap international, well there is a plentifull of responding candidates to my heart widening. Do you also feel that you have to make up for your financial disinvolvement from the WTS ?

• justhuman
    justhuman

for sure I have

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I haven't yet, but I am far more likely to give a few dollars to the Salvation Army or the Red Cross than I am to put even another penny into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. Now that they have aired a news segment on NBC last night (and a few dozen threads on that topic in the Friends section on page 4252), they are going to need that money more than ever. Hopefully, not another penny is coming. No wonder they want people to be wary of real news articles and broadcasts on the topic!

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I have donated time to the Red Cross. I used to be on one of their trauma teams also. I have worked with alot of charties at hospitals, too.

It is the greatest feeling to do this!

shell

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Yes.

Several.

But my favorite charity is off all is "Getting My Own Finances In Order, After Having Gotten Behind The Eight Ball Due To Investing So Much Into A Cult".

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Yes, definately. I have found myself in a more giving mood/spirit since leaving. It feels really good to give to the poor and homeless.

• kerj2leev
  • MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

The two biggest catastrophic events that happened, I sent money to those charities. When I was working, I had money taken out of each check for the United Way. Now, that I'm not working, charity begins at home! But I'm sure if something happened where a family in the area could not afford a funeral for a loved one or if a child/anyone needed a medical procedure that I would drop my mite into the pot. I still give every other homeless person or whatever they may be my spare change if I have any. It depends on how they approach me. I try to buy the tootsie rolls from the firemen; and I try to buy stuff from the kids selling stuff for their schools when they come to my door. Being a diabetic, I don't need sweets in the house! But I always buy that cookie dough stuff!

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Of course, there is much more to give than just money, the main point is that once we widen our scope of interest outside the WTS, we can find plenty of opportunities to help without the ulterior motive of orientating our good deeds toward "making disciples" . Our new attitude is therefore more unselfish and, in the end, more gratifying.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Since I am no longer a JW, I give more to charity. Every year I give a donation to our local firemen and another to the local EMS ambulance fund. This time of year I never pass a Salvation Army bucket without putting something in it. The Disabled Veterans is also on the top of my list. Several times a year, I send them a check. I must have enough address labels to cover a wall in my house!

HappyDad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit