Somewhere in the middle: Not Christian, Not Atheist

by darkuncle29 21 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I consider myself a spiritual atheist. While I do not believe in god(looking back I dont think I ever really bought into it)I do recognize that we do have a spiritual nature to us.

LOL!

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

OK, don't all jump on me and attack me now, or poo poo this radical concept. Keep an open mind. Here goes. I consider myself a Human Being and I have the absolute proof! I think. I jest, therefore I am! I'm pretty sure.

The most interesting thing I noticed about this thread is how every single one of us struggles so hard to define and label ourselves with isms and ists. We all want so desperately to be certain, to know for sure, "this is WHO I AM". Interesting phenomenom.

Best quote I've heard in a while, "When I became a buddhist, everyone I know was upset with me. When I am a buddha, nobody seems to mind!" I went on a meditation retreat recently. Best thing I learned: Our thoughts are not "who we are". Our beliefs are not "who we are". Our moods are not "who we are". Our feelings about things are not "who we are". All of those things change with time. They are not solid. We cannot hold onto them with any certainty. Yet we stubbornly insist on trying to do so. Worse, we create identies for ourselves surrounding all of these things and firmly believe they are the sum totality of "ourselves". Worse yet, we create identities for others based upon our shallow perceptions and insist we "know" who they are and judge and treat them accordingly.

BTW. I am not a Buddh-ist. I think.

Cog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit