Somewhere in the middle: Not Christian, Not Atheist

by darkuncle29 21 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I'm a little Jeff-ist, myself, too.

There is still something seductive to me in explaining my experience of existing into a theistic context, I would like to show respect for the possibility of a Divine Source by at leats not denying it's existence; and perhaps that's still the best way to conventionalize such discussions for me. But I've been looking at how this image of "God" lives for me, what purposes I put it to, and can only conclude that I use my concept of God as a reason or excuse to be the best I can be - and maybe I don't need an excuse for that anymore.

Maybe it's time I take a greater degree of responsibility and accountibility for the "good" things about me rather than giving that power away, or thinking I need a reason for it.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Atheists agree on one thing and one thing only, that there is not conclusive evidence to support belief in God, or as sero points out, a specific deity.

Most of us here, if not all, are athiests with regards to Wotan and Baal.

Zeus and Osiris.

Some atheists think spirituality in any form is to be rejected as hocus-pocus.

Other atheists take spirituality very seriously.

• eclipse
    eclipse

What if we find out that atheist's and theist's were both right?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

What if God wants us to be atheists?

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

What if nvr doesn't believe in me?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I've had a hell of alot more interaction with VoidEater than I have with God.

Unless...VoidEater is......could it be...

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

I'm just FreedomFrog...nothing more...nothing less...lol

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29
    We don't have words describing people who don't believe in Santa, no a-santaists. If we don't believe in alchemy, we're not a-alchemists. Not believing in ghosts doesn't make someone a-ghostist. It's just a state of being that doesn't require a name. It says nothing about a person's worldview, other than they don't believe in those things. Atheism has its name because there are many who believe in a god.

Ok, that is a good way of getting it through to me. That would be kinda sick though, people who don't believe in Santa convincing little kids that he's real...what if the Pope is Atheist? Really, thanks though, that does make more sense.

Some atheists think spirituality in any form is to be rejected as hocus-pocus.

Other atheists take spirituality very seriously.

So even Atheists can't get along? j/k I'm glad that the latter kind can exist, but isn't that a very tight rope to walk, sort of like being a gay republican? All joking aside, I respect that position, but wonder what must go through your mind when a non spiritual atheist poo-poos the idea of anything hocusy pocusy?

What if we find out that atheist's and theist's were both right?

That would be SO funny.

OK, so here's my take. When I see Atheists and believers duking it out, I'm just going to stay out of the fray, as I have my questions answered good enough for me. Thanks people for your thoughts.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    All joking aside, I respect that position, but wonder what must go through your mind when a non spiritual atheist poo-poos the idea of anything hocusy pocusy?

It makes me want to give them a "spanking" and "beat" them and make them look stupid and ridiculous and attack them personally. It makes me want to make them "pay" for their "poo-pooing".

LOL!

Actually, I calmly try to explain how many atheists, myself included, have seen that spirituality and naturalism, a philosophy that does not acknowledge anything supernatural, can very reasonably be linked. If they agree that's nice. If they don't, that's ok too. We both know that we're going to die someday.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I consider myself a spiritual atheist. While I do not believe in god(looking back I dont think I ever really bought into it)I do recognize that we do have a spiritual nature to us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit