Celebrating Thanksgiving..how to get your JW relatives to celebrate!!!

by Lady Liberty 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Friends...

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!! (((HUGS)))

OK...so I just responded to another thread and felt it deserved its own. How many times as a JW did you stumble around when you were asked "Why don't you celebrate Thanksgiving??" I was trained to say, " We give thanks everyday, not just once a year". People would always look at me weird and say, "Yeah, we do to". Then I would always feel like crawling into a hole because I knew I wasn't giving any type of sound reasoning why I wasn't celebrating it. And YET......

Every Thanksgiving my whole JW family would get together with our none JW family and my JW grandmother would cook a huge Turkey with all the fixings and us JWs would not refer to it as Thanksgiving..but openly our non JW family would call it that. We knew we were celebrating it, and in private we would say among ourselves.."I don't see what is wrong with Thanksgiving"!!?? However, even though I would celebrate it I would act as if I wouldn't when asked by "wordly" people. What a HYPOCRITE I was!! ANYWAY.......now that I am out I realise that there is NOTING wrong with celebrating Thanksgiving! Its all about CONTROL!!! It is just another way they try to control your average JW to keep them in line and seperate from the "world"! For noe good reason!

OK..so how do you stop your JW family dead in their tracts?? Tell them this:

You ask your JW relative, " What is really wrong with celebrating Thanksgiving anyway??"

The JW will likey reply," We don't give thanks just one day a year, but we are thankful EVERYDAY" (sound familiar??)

You say, "Well we only celebrate Jesus death once a year, does that mean we aren't appreciative or "Thankful" the rest of the year??"

Likely you will then get a big BLANK LOOK from them!!

Then say, "If you use one reasoning for one, you have to apply the same reasoning to the other, they are both celebrations of Thanks!"

Anyhow... Just thought I would share!! Let me know what you think??

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I keep crossing my fingers the dubs come to my door on turkey morning.

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

OK. Now I am getting hungry. Stop talking about food.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

According to their own doctrine, they DO NOT celebrate the birth, death, and resurrection 365 days of the year. Take off Christmas,Thanksgiving, and Easter, it's more like 360 days a year. You cannot celebrate one of God's miracles either-childbirth-no birthday celebrations. They are the most uninteresting people on the planet, totally void of true happiness. Always looking over their shoulders wondering if the grim reaper is close by.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Every year at ThanksGiving..Jehovah`s Witness`s all over North America..Have a "It`s not a ThanksGiving Turkey dinner!",turkey dinner.......To officially make it a "It`s not a ThanksGiving Turkey Dinner!",turkey dinner..You must talk about why it`s Not a "ThanksGiving Turkey Dinner",while stuffing your face with Turkey!..Crazy EyesEating Fast.....Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    Every year at ThanksGiving..Jehovah`s Witness`s all over North America..Have a "It`s not a ThanksGiving Turkey dinner!",turkey dinner.......To officially make it a "It`s not a ThanksGiving Turkey Dinner!",turkey dinner..You must talk about why it`s not a ThanksGiving Turkey Dinner",while stuffing your face with Turkey!.

Exactly right. this year, my wife is refusing to accompany me to my relatives house to share in fellowship and eat because she doesn't want to give them the impression that she is "celebrating", but I've over heard her on the phone asking her mother and sister about the food they are either buying or preparing for the day.

She even had the nerve to tell me the other day that I've been "invited" to a dinner one of the "friends" giving ....another one of their gatherings.....I guess to officially "not observe" the holiday tomorrow. I'm tempted to go, take pictures, then go to my relatives, take pictures, and then ask her to show me how either of those festivities are different from the other, both with people taking advantage of an opportunity to get together in a group to share in food and fellowship with no indians being killed, no one getting their heads chopped off, an no sacrifices or worship to Satan being offered.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Haha true that Outlaw. A Lowes from around here printed a ad saying they had a sale on "Winter trees" which were just Christmas trees and everyone got bent out of shape. I was thinking how a bunch of dubs would say, "we bought one of those winter trees and we heard it's fun to put gifts under it! We're going to open them on the 26th!"

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

I believe the "official" reason is because it is considered a national holiday. So - since JWs aren't supposed to take part in anything having to do with government (yep, feeling ya on the UN irony of THAT one) - they do not celebrate thanksgiving. It has nothing to do the giving or not giving of thanks - that's just an easy way of getting out of it. Same with Mother's Day and Father's Day.

Georgie-girl of the We Didn't Celebrate Thanksgiving But Ate Turkey Every Year class

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Theres well known JW family that owns a Music/Sewing business..They have a few shops down on the coast..Every year during the Christmas Season they have a big Anniversary Sale..It`s not a Christmas Sale!..They are in no way taking advantage of the Christmas Season!..Crazy Eyes.....Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

This is funny. My family has always celebrated Thanksgiving. TRurkey dinner on Thurs. nite. Some years we would go visit my dad at his work, the LA Times, in the Cafeteria at the top floor. We would always say, "We're not celebrating Thanksgiving, we are just eating turkey like we would any other day. It just so happens that turkey is cheaper this time of year." The whole family would get together and have a non-Thanksgiving thanksgiving. We had our traditions for New Years (playing a game of all-nite Risk, keeping track of what our first word of the year is, having contests of who could go the longest without talking). For birthdays we would hit one another however many times according to our respective ages. We would often have turkey or ham dinners on Christmas, watch Charlie Brown Christmas etc. Whatever happened though we would not do something so evil and insidious as exchange gifts. That was clearly off limits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit