A Christian we could all learn from.....

by sweetstuff 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

i also have the opinion, that "good" people would do "good" and "bad" people do "bad" things, regardless of religious belief or ideology. however, religion and ideology make "good" people do "bad" things far too often.

• snowbird
    snowbird

There is something in our makeup that makes us want to be a little better, a little different, yes, a little superior to anyone else. This tendency, left unchecked, can cause us to do or say horrible things to each other. This is an undeniable fact, and is the main reason for much of the angst in the human family.

While the enslavement of Africans and others was and is a shameful part of history, I see nothing in those groups that suggest they wouldn't pursue a similar course if given the opportunity. Human society (including Christians) is twisted, broken, badly in need of repair.

That's why I have such love and respect for the Holy Scriptures. Nothing is glossed over or sugarcoated in the Bible. All the ugliness and sadness and gory details are spelled out - at times - to a shocking degree. It really gets down to the cornbread of the matter, as it were.

Yet, we find in its pages a theme of redemption, of restitution, of restoration for ALL that make up the human family (including Christians).

My meandering thoughts on a Tuesday morning.

Sylvia

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Compassion of all humans is what I would put forward as an essential common goal for mankind. It is evident in people from all groups wherever you go. It is confinement to a unique system of belief which promotes division and conflict. In order to become compassionate one has to learn how to instruct humans to accept difference but the difficulty is in making this a simultaneous reality for all groups in which case we would still have American Indians, Aborigines and Maoris etc. ruling their homelands! Peacemakers are very susceptible to being crucified and obliterated! It is a paradox because surely everyone would prefer a world which avoided conflict, suffering and premature death. Observation shows otherwise! And the irony is when preservation of the peacemakers results in them taking up arms so that they replicate the militants they seek to dissolve which then usurps their status as peacemakers.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Humanity is a screwed up bunch of animals. People will follow whatever is feed to them by someone that gets a special leadership position for centuries. They are always fighting wars against nations, tribes, and sometimes familes. The bible seems to describe this type of behavior all through the Hebrew writings. I don't think it will ever stop. I sure hope I'm wrong on that part.

I'm having a bad feeling that the human race is facing a tragic natural calamity. Something like global warming, volcanic eruption, asteriod strike, in a few years. Maybe I've been watching the Discovery channel to often on TV. Maybe the belief of a new perfect earth would be better.

I think I've just got depression lately.

Ken P.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

My meandering thoughts on a Tuesday morning.

Sylvia

While there is much we don't agree on, I love you and respect you for your "meandering thoughts", Sylvia.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    While there is much we don't agree on, I love you and respect you for your "meandering thoughts", Sylvia.

Thank you, Nvr. Now that my sparring buddy from northern Arkansas is on hiatus, I certainly appreciate those words of comfort.

Sylvia

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

> I'm having a bad feeling that the human race is facing a tragic natural calamity.

maybe humanity itself is a natural disaster. maybe we are a virus to this universe. would explain a lot. but wouldn't change a thing.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

BA- Just can't stop us Christians from human trafficking and slavery, can yuzz?

PS- Thuh atheists will teech us morulz and make it all better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit