Heard the phrase "Are you in the truth or is the truth in you?"

by truthseeker 10 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

This was said to me by a brother who went on to leave the truth and resume his alternative lifestyle.

So, how many of you here were just "in the truth?"

• Gopher
    Gopher

The truth is just a buzzword for "the organization".

So when you ask:

So, how many of you here were just "in the truth?"

Do you mean this from a JW perspective? In my case I was "in the organization", and I was a ministerial servant but didn't last in there, so from their viewpoint the "truth wasn't in me".

However, I feel I've become more TRUE to my self since leaving and sorting out what I really think about various things. So there's more "truthiness" in me now than when I was a JW.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I guess it depends on what you define as "Truth"

The desire for "Truth" was in me but it didn't sit well with what the Watchtowers Definition of truth is.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I guess being "in the truth" means living it and loving it.

It's a phrase suggestive that you buy the whole thing, hook, line and sinker.

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Yeah yeah, when I was ten, and with a pen was filling in the letters on the cover of a WT, and old sour sister (not mine, but possibly someone's) leaned over to me, and in disgust said, 'Ask yourself, Are you in the truth or is the truth in you?' I replied with a blank stare, to which she said, 'Your drawing is putting you in a rut. Do you know what a rut is? It's a grave.' I cried, I was only drawing.

I never went near her again, but years later she was inactive and lonely and then got DF'd, probably for being a bitch.

And that, my friends is the difference between a SOUR sister and a SOUL sister.

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Sorry, bitterness came out of me right then.

I was both, I tried really hard all the time as an adult to do the right thing, to look out for the 'weak', to bring dinner to sick people and families who just had a baby, and the like. I answered frequently, studying 'the deeper things', was always ready to give a substitute talk, I visited the inactive and took them out in service, even for a half an hour, I believed that doing all these things should be done by people who had the love of truth in them.

I studied all the time, I prayed a lot, about everything, I confessed to J all the time about my feelings and thoughts; I sacrificed so much of my youth because that's what I believed I should do. I was a flippin' JW posterchild.

And it was so F'n easy to toss it when I saw the meanness of the Hohos; I saw the real face of 'the truth' and was finished.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I was not a good 'company man', and by WTS definition, I was not really imbued with 'truth' in their minds.

I did attempt to live by the essence of biblical scripture, or at least what I believed was the essence of scripture to the Watchtower people. I really thought that I had found 'God's organization' - and I believed that organization would, in the end, act like it was.

I prefer to think that 'Goodness' was in me, not so much truth. But I was certainly not in Goodness.

Jeff

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I can ditto what AK-Jeff said.

I will call it "The Anti-Truth" now.
    "The Lie" isn't bad either.

• lrkr
    lrkr

Wow- doesn't that phrase "the truth" just give you the willies now. The only, pure, eternal, all-encompassing, perfect "truth" about everything and everyone. It sounds so cultish when you stand back and think about it.

• rose petal
    rose petal

I used to cringe when I heard that phrase! It seemed even then so egocentric! Even when I was a good 'dub' I hated that saying.

rose petal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit