What do you drive and why?

by Escargot 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Escargot
    Escargot

Well, a post on the good ‘ol days got me thinking about the vehicles people drive and why. In the Jws, a vehicle had to be appropriate for “service,” four doors, holding at least five. I remember back in 1978 I bought an MGB and the brothers had a fit (hehe), I was selfish, etc.,. However, One sister (who was a close relative to a member of the GB) drove around in a VW bug with no comments.

As an Elder, I always had a van for service, however, the last year I served as an elder (98), I bought another MGB (1980) and drove her to Elder meetings. Got the looks, however no one said anything. Today, I drive all “older” cars, just because they give me a good feeling inside. I drive a 1967 VW bus, 1970 Karmann Ghia and a 1973 Super Beetle.

How about the list members? Any good vehicle service stories? Also, what do you drive now, and does it in any way reflect your personality?

Erasmus (1520 AD): "If we want truth, every person ought to be free to speak what they think without fear."

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

i drive a lifted ford explorer......that way i can
    peek under skirts and keep the old bags out of my car

• outnfree
    outnfree

If I had my druthers I'd be driving around in a dark blue Lotus [sigh] circa 1978????

However, I drive a minivan because

a) there are six of us and a dog in my immediate family; and
    b) I get a good deal on a lease vehicle as my husband works in the auto industry.

outnfree

outnfree

Par dessus toutes choses, soyez bons. La bonte est ce qui ressemble le plus a Dieu et ce qui desarme le plus les hommes -- Lacordaire

• Escargot
    Escargot

nytelecom1:
    You got me rolling on the floor.. man...........

Erasmus (1520 AD): "If we want truth, every person ought to be free to speak what they think without fear."

• joelbear
    joelbear

Right now I drive a PT Cruiser but I wish I had my jeep back. I want a Jeep Wrangler for my next vehicle. I just think Jeeps are cool. I thought I would enjoy the PT, but I don't that much.

When I was a pioneer I was totally broke. My father bought my grandfather's old Chevrolet that he used to drive around his farm with dogs and farm animals in it for me to use as my pioneer car. It was pretty gross. I cleaned it out and lysoled it but it never did really get rid of that musty acrid farm smell. Also, the accelerator on it would stick sometimes and it would just take off like a bat out of hell. This was particularly unnerving for some of the older pioneer sisters who would go out with me. Most of the time it was a mystery as to whether it would work or not, we called it Myrtle the turtle.

I wrecked it coming home from a football game late one night and had to buy a new car. But memories of Myrtle live on til today.

Joel

• Escargot
    Escargot

joelbear:

Was it the retro thing that made you try the PT?

• Escargot
    Escargot

OutN:

Why a dark blue Lotus [sigh] circa 1978???? What does the car do for you?.....

• Julie
    Julie

I drive a Sherman Tank cleverly disguised as a 1991 Ford Aerostar. Believe me, it's only cause I HAVE to. No choice at the moment. I'm a GM girl at heart. I'd take a brand new Corvette any day.

Julie, of the loves fast, fun-to-drive cars class

• Escargot
    Escargot

Julie:

Corvettes are sweet! I really enjoy the looks of the 1960-63 vetts. More "power" to you!

• rem
    rem

I have to admit that I'm a sucker for German cars, whether they be VW, Audi, Porche, Mercedes, or BMW. I've got an old '93 Jetta and a '00 BWM 323 (4 doors for service, of course). The black beemer is my baby right now. The only problem is the wife gets to drive it more than I do! :)

rem

'A scientific opinion is one which there is some reason to believe is true; an unscientific opinion is one which is held for some reason other than its probable truth.' - Bertrand Russell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit