Fairport Convention

by LennyinBluemont 10 Replies latest jw friends

• LennyinBluemont
    LennyinBluemont

Anybody else into this truly wonderful British folk-rock group?

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Oh yes, i've got a couple of 30 years old LP vinyls of this group, I wonder if they have been reissued on CD. Quite nice gang, that was about the time another folk group, the Bothy Band, was performing.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Hi Lenny!

I'm a Richard Thompson fan, does that count? LOL

I'll check them out!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes -and Steeleye Span of a similar genre

• avishai
    avishai

Always liked Richard Thompson, just recently got into fairport convention, here's a good one from Richard And Linda Thompson....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R4j_RBpvDqw

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Yes, I have just about everything they and Richard Thompson have recorded. Some recordings and band line-ups are more powerful than others, but there is always a strong creative line running through them all. I bought all their original UK recordings back in the sixties including the early "pink" label Island recordings.

Another, probably the first of the "electric" folk bands, very much worth hearing are Pentangle. Any band that has Danny Thompson and Bert Jansch in is worth sawing your arm off to hear.

Pentangle - House Carpenter

HS

• avishai
    avishai

Thanks hilary, that was incredible!! Never thought banjo and sitar would go so well together!!

• Dagney
    Dagney
    here's a good one from Richard And Linda Thompson....

Yes, so good. **sigh**

Funny, I was just at youtube checking out Fairport Convention and listening Richard Thompson.

• LennyinBluemont
    LennyinBluemont

Hey, thanks for chiming in, folks. Yes, I love Steeleye and Pentangle. Have seen Steeleye a few times and Fairport more times than I can remember. Never saw Pentangle, but have seen John Renbourne and Jacqui Macshee (sp) perform together a few times. Richard Thompson, in my opinion, was a fantastic member of the group, great songwriter and guitarist, but I haven't cared as much for him solo. I've been to see him a few times and have bought several of his CDs. Anybody been to the Cropredy Festival they have every year? I've still got quite a few of the original Fairport vinyls, but prefer the CDs to the pops and hisses. Sandy Denny's voice on the early recordings is positively celestial. But then, Maddy Prior can belt it out pretty good herself. Hey, anybody remember Dando Shaft?

• White Dove
    White Dove

I thought this was a district convention overview!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit