KM 2005- Society discourages brothers from donating to Tsunami victims $$$$

by Witness 007 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Sitting in the hall I was shocked when I read this article. Kingdom Ministry 2005 Nov {after the Tsunami and New Orleans desaster Witnesses sent millions to help brothers in these areas marking their envelopes "For the Tsunami victims" etc. The society realized since there are few Witnesses in Tsunami ravaged countries this money would be wasted helping Muslims. So the KM published this:

"Last year many brothers donated toward those effected by the Tsunami desaster...HOWEVER, when donations are earmarked for certain desasters it is necassary in some countries to use these funds ONLY as specified. {So what} by the donor and within a certain period of time, whether the needs of the brothers have been cared for locally or not. It is recommended that donations for humanitarian and relief assistance be made TO THE WORLD WIDE WORK. {a.k.a Watchtower society directly} This fund is used for relief efforts {not often} as well as advancing the needs of the spiritual brothers. {or buying buildings in New York} ...it would be apriciated if such donations were made WITHOUT RESTRICTIONS as to where and how the donations are to be used."

The Watchtower wants full control of the donations so don't be a pain and donate to humanitarian Aid. They know how best to use your funds!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Do you personally have this Kingdom Ministry in your posession? If so, it could be a goldmine right now.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Very good point. In other words, give us cash that WE can use as WE see fit. Disgusting!!

It always disappointed me immensly that the WTS never done more (having the power & $$$) in relation to other efforts. The few things that they did arrange were trumpeted from the highest rooftops.

But in actual fact, thay do nothing in comparison with other religious charities & relief organisations.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

If someone has that km, they should forward it to the IRS and let them know the society collected donations for the Tsunami victims and you want to make sure they dispersed this money appropriately. For one thing, the WT would of had to register and get a proper TIN to be used just for such a collection. Then, they will have to prove the money was given to the Tsunami victims. I doubt they did any of that because the world wide work fund goes right into the WT's pockets. They could get into HUGE trouble on this one! Lilly

• Gregor
    Gregor

So the WTS wants the money every time a major disaster prompts JWs to donate. I would really appreciate a scan of this KM.

Lil, they don't get in trouble unless the giver designates the exact purpose of the donation. That's why they prefer it not to be earmarked.

• jambon1
    jambon1

How

CanWeHelp?

The question "How can we help?" is often raised by Jehovah’s Witnesses when they hear of a disaster that has occurred in some part of the world. As the account at Acts 11:27-30 shows, Christians in the first century provided a relief ministration to the brothers dwelling in Judea because of a famine that took place.

In modern times, our organizational charters have permitted money to be used for charitable activity and to provide humanitarian assistance to those suffering from natural or man-made disasters and in other times of need.

For example, last year many brothers contributed toward helping those affected by the tsunami disaster in South Asia. This heartfelt response in the way of donations to the organization’s relief funds was very much appreciated. However, when donations are earmarked specifically for a certain disaster, it is necessary in some countries to use such funds only for the purpose specified by the donor and within a certain period of time, whether the needs of our brothers have been cared for locally or not.

Consequently, it is recommended that donations for humanitarian and relief assistance be made to the worldwide work. This fund is used for relief efforts as well as for advancing the spiritual needs of the Christian brotherhood. If, for some reason, a person wishes to make a relief donation separate from contributions to the worldwide work, it will still be accepted and used wherever there is a need for relief assistance. However, it would be appreciated if such donations are made without restrictions as to where and how the funds may be used.

Our directing donations primarily to the worldwide work allows for more funds to be available for use in connection with all features of the Kingdom work rather than being held only for future relief needs. This is in harmony with the spirit of Ephesians 4:16, that we work together to give what is needed "for the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love."

Nov 2005 KM - Qu & A.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Good idea lovelyfil, an even better idea might be to send it on to Senator Grassley from Iowa.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Gregor,

They sure know all the ways around the tax laws don't they?

I am wondering though, if they state in writing that you can give to the Tsunami victims via the WWW fund, don't they have to keep some kind of records as to how they spent that for these victims? I am sure thousands of Jdubs gave extra for that purpose. If I were a jdub now, I would demand to see the accounting of this money.

Lilly

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Probably not Lovelyfil, from what I understand once it goes into that fund, it is anyones guess how it is spent.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    If I were a jdub now, I would demand to see the accounting of this money.

I am sure you mean that, but come on!!!!

You and I both know that jdubs don't DEMAND anything of their precious WTS.
    They just assume it's God's organization, and God will make sure WTS sends
    some of the gold and the silver over there to help.

I am sure the Society loaned some money to the victims that lost a Kingdom
    Hall, so they could rebuild it. Afterall, it is difficult to continue recruiting without
    a central magazine depot in the neighborhood. I am equally sure that a few
    cases of food and clothing were shipped to that new Kingdom Hall because
    some JW's ignored the request to just send money to the worldwide work.

I was a Hurricane victim in my first couple of years as a JW. JW's sent STUFF.
    We needed the stuff. JW's came as individuals to repair roofs or cut trees. We
    needed the individuals. Much later, WTS figured that JW's around the country and
    around the world should be told how to donate, and should be "approved" before
    just showing up to do what they could do. What a shame the organization stepped
    between the needy and the concerned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit