Nova: Intelligent Design documentary

by ringo5 10 Replies latest jw friends

• ringo5
    ringo5

Nova

Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial

Thu, Nov 15, 9:00 PM | Run Time: 120 min.

Genre: Science

NewAvailable in HD CC TV-PG Stereo

Conflict among the school board, parents and teachers evolves when the board orders teachers to read to students a statement suggesting an alternative to Darwin's theory of evolution.

This Is 9;00 PST. I watch Nova a fair amount and thought others out there in JWD land might want to know....

Cheers,

ringo5

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks.

Those jackasses are almost in my backyard.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Conflict among the school board, parents and teachers evolves when the board orders teachers to read to students a statement suggesting an alternative to Darwin's theory of evolution.

Conflict evolves? Or is created?

Why do they call it "Darwin's theory"? It should be called the "scientific theory of evolution". What's next? Will the school board order teachers to read a statement suggesting an alternative to the theory of relativity?

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Saw it tonight. The "creationists" would have had credibility if they didn't lie to the judge. Instead they face criminal charges. And what's up when you disagree with someone, you have to send threatening letters? I was wondering if anyone here had an atheist come knocking at your door? I doubt it. Funny thing about this was said from the pope in the summer-(paraphrase) it's time to consider the likelyhood that evolution may be part of our lives. I never could understand why some just cannot believe that God created evolution. Just what is so awful about that?

• ringo5
    ringo5

That was a great review of the court case that came out of Dover, Pennsylvania. As I expected, it didn't put the intelligent design proponents in a very favorable light, for various reasons, one of them being perjury which I didn't expect.

Just a few points that stuck with me,

- the ID proponents claimed the only wished for equal time for their own scientific theory , and no religious ideas were involved. This was proved utterly false when documents surfaced that showed they had merely renamed creationism as intelligent design. Another document called "The Wedge" published by the discovery institute, showed the whole idea of intelligent design was invented, through a series of steps, to reinfuse American culture with Christianity.

- Michael Behe, as the star intelligent design defendant, had to admit that his definition of a scientific theory, under which he allowed intelligent design to be labeled, would also have to allow other spurious ideas such as astrology to fall into that same category.

- the judge, after bringing down his decision to bar Intelligent design from being taught in Dover schools, needed protection from Federal marshals due to various death threats in reaction to his decision. Has anyone ever heard of creationists receiving death threats from evolutionists?

Cheers

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    the ID proponents claimed the only wished for equal time for their own scientific theory , and no religious ideas were involved.

LOL. As if!

So what's next?

Do we have equal time for all the other superstitions?

Right after Chemistry class, we need have the Alchemy class.

Then Astrology should be given the same amount of time as Astronomy.

After Gym we should have a Magic class.

After Health class we should teach kids how to perform Faith Healings.

After Biology class we should teach kids Intelligent Design.

We should explain that the Theory of Evolution, the Theory of Relativity, Germ Theory, and the Theory of Gravity are all 'only theories'. And that it is equally possible that fairies are responsible for creating life, controlling time and space, spreading diseases, and holding us on the earth... which may or may not be flat...

Lore - W.W.S.D?

• Awakened07
    Awakened07
    Another document called "The Wedge" published by the discovery institute, showed the whole idea of intelligent design was invented, through a series of steps, to reinfuse American culture with Christianity.

Ah - - so they realized that one big 'jump' in order to get there wasn't feasible, but that several small steps might cumulatively do the job eventually.

Kinda reminds me of something else...

Jokes aside, the trial is very interesting material. If you've got about an hour and a half, here's a good video of one of the witnesses for the plaintiff (Ken Miller) explaining some details from the Dover trial. Ken Miller is by the way a Catholic, so that should go to show it is possible to believe in both evolution and be a Christian (at least according to some, I guess some would disagree).

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

LtCmd.Lore Great answer! I'll remember that one! Shows a great deal of intelligent design! Did you create it or was divine help required! LOL!

I suppose the conflict between believing in divine directed evolution is that Adam needs to have existed as the first man, to have fallen, neccesitating Jesus etc etc.

I believe the invisible, indivisible, unadvisable pink polka dot elephant in the sky did it. I want equal time too!

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

Here's the hypocrisy of the Intelligent Design crowd:
    They want their hypothesis to have equal time in schools with evolution. They say it's only fair even though they have done no studies, published no papers in peer-reviewed journals, and have done no research. The entire basis for intelligent design is the idea that evolution is false. ID is not a theory, it's an anti-theory. It does nothing but futilly attack evolution on the same tired issues that creationism did decades ago. It brings nothing new to the table and doesn't even attempt to explain why, if the intelligent designer is so smart, did 99.99999% of his/her creations die out? Evolution took decades of research and an overwhelming scientific consensus in order to get into the schools, but Intelligent Design wants to be fast-tracked into the curriculum with no peer-review and no alternate explanation other than *insert your god here* did it. That's fair?

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    They want their hypothesis to have equal time in schools with evolution. They say it's only fair even though they have done no studies, published no papers in peer-reviewed journals, and have done no research. The entire basis for intelligent design is the idea that evolution is false. ID is not a theory, it's an anti-theory.

Good point!

Even if they DID get equal time, what would the students learn ABOUT?

With evolution they can perform experiments, learn from scientific studies, take tests and answer questions.

By the very non-falsifiable nature of ID, you CAN'T perform experiments, you can't study it, and you can't test it.

What would the students DO during ID class?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit