You want everyone to stop using oil but do you eat meat?

by sammielee24 19 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

It takes 16 pounds of grain/grass etc to produce 1 pound of animal flesh which means that the biggest contributor to global warming isn't your car - it's animal produce. Now - we can scream about those gas guzzlers and the emissions they put out - but if we run out and buy ethanol or drive a Prius - then we sit down to a steak dinner or chow down on those burgers...then don't you think that its a little ridiculous? Whats the answer? Food mass produced for human consumption is causing major problems but we focus on the smaller issue of gas usage.

What would we do if suddenly the price of all meats and poultry were to add a carbon tax on to them? That tax might double the price you pay for your food purchases everywhere which in turn would reduce the number of people eating in restaurants etc. Interesting thought. sammieswife.

• Kudra
    Kudra

So true!

The only reason I would stop eating meat is because of the wastefulness of energy (E into feed vs. E out of the meat we eat...).

-K

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

Tofu isn't bad once you learn to cook with it.

• tere1998
    tere1998

I drive a Prius and I stopped eating meat because I saw a video on how the animals are slaughtered, not to mention all the drugs they pump into them.

Thanks for the info on the energy consumption. I didn't know this. Just one more reason...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

...The biggest contributer to globel warming..Is..Farting Cows!!..Cows that wiggle their ears and wave,have terrible gas problems!..Cows DancingCows Dancing.....Less cows means,less cow farts..Remember that the next time you eat a hambuger..Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• minu
    minu

BlueViceRoy: Do you have any favorite recipes you want to share? My aunt made some tofu something and I haven't had the courage to try it again.

- Marie

• restrangled
    restrangled

Big dogs tend to produce a lot of gas.....mine clear a room in about 5 seconds. They are eating those left over meat parts no one else wants.

I run my airconditioning constantly and burn a lot of candles.

I'm sure our carbon foot print is huge!

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u205/aomeara/IMG_2297.jpg

r.

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

I don't really cook from recipies . it's more of a therapy thing when I need some me time

Cook the tofu with plenty of seasonings and you need to add some tasty fat of some kind , not a lot . it likes fresh ginger and veggies.

Grilling I dunno, Saute extra firm with olive oil and onions fresh garlic little bit of sea salt fresh cracked pepper touch or oregegano and cayenne

hint of nutmeg . add veggies ( make sure the tofu isn't in big chunks) grate in freash ginger and some soy sauce

Or you can make miso soup it's real tasty

• minu
    minu

BlueVice: Thanks for the tips!

I have had miso soup before haven't cooked it myself. I'm going to attempt to create a recipe this weekend but I'm not going to tell DH what it is and see what happens. I'll have to hide the packaging also cause that booger will look in the garbage to find out what i'm cooking. Then it'll be all this drama about tofu.

Edited to add: Restrangled: Your dogs are beautiful!

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

Sammielee,

Excellent point made there.

We may be inclined to look at things along the line that
    "my car runs on petrol / gasoline, so that is the only way I am affected by oil prices."

Not so!

Nearly everything uses oil (either as a fuel,as a lubricant or as a feed stock):
    - plastics
    - chemicals
    - pharmaceuticals
    - everything that gets transported by road, sea, air; and in most cases, rail as well.
    (Anything not covered in that list!)
    - and of course, agriculture; both fuels and fertilizers.

The consumer pays for this - and also, as you correctly observed, indirectly plays a part in any environmental damage that results.

Jack.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit