Jephthah's daughter.

by Awakened07 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I suddenly remembered the story of Jephthah's daughter, or rather, the way the Watchtower interprets it.

The story can be found in Judges 11, from verse 29.

Now the story loosely goes like this; Jephthah wants to go against the Ammonites and - as is par for the course - slay them all. To do this, he tells God that if He grants him victory, the first living thing to greet him when he returns shall be a burnt offering to God. He does win, and of course - the first 'thing' to come and greet him is his only daughter, and he begrudgingly has to keep his promise to God and - after a mourning period - sacrifice her.

Now, the Watchtower teaching on this as I remember it from when I was growing up, is that Jephthah's daughter wasn't actually literally sacrificed as a burnt offering (that would be too gruesome), but instead had to stay the rest of her life in God's temple, therefore for ever staying an unmarried virgin.

I decided to look further into this, and read the story in its entirety, as it can be found in the link above.

First of all, I found that the word used for 'burnt offering' in verse 31, `olah, is used to describe a burnt, animal sacrifice in most of the instances that I could find in the Bible (for instance when Abraham was to sacrifice Isaac).

After having found that, I did a simple Google search of "Jephthah's daughter", and found that there are many apologetics that share the view of the Watchtower on this one; that she wasn't in fact sacrificed, but more likely had to spend her life in the temple.

For instance this page:

Now the next question, the answer to which some say makes God guilty by endorsement, and Jephthah guilty in the main: Did he make this vow knowing that a human might come walking out of his house?

It is common for conservatives to appeal to Jeppie's ignorance in this case, and note that houses of the Biblical period typically had a stockyard that surrounded the house, so that Jephthah could very well have supposed that an animal would be the first thing to meet him.

This is supposed to be apologetic to the fact that Jephthah promised to sacrifice "whatever would come out of the house to greet him" when he came back, to show that he must have thought the most likely being to come toward him first, would be one of his animals.

But a thought just struck me:

If this is the case, and his daughter wasn't sacrificed as a burnt offering, but was simply sent to the temple for the rest of her life, does that mean that Jephthah had imagined possibly sending a sheep, goat or dog to God's temple to serve Him the rest of its life?

How could Jephthah know what would be the first to greet him when he came back? And if he didn't mean a burnt sacrifice would be made, did he then intend to send an animal to serve in the temple, if an animal happened to meet him first?

Probably a stupid question, but I wanted to know what your take on the story is based on this?

• DJK
    DJK
    he tells God that if He grants him victory, the first living thing to greet him when he returns shall be a burnt offering to God.

My father had a part at a Yankee Stadium convention years ago. I was on stage with him and this was the topic of his part. One line I had was a response to this bible quote. I said, "Did he expect an animal to come out of the house?" I hated that.

• Mary
    Mary

Interesting question.....

And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her [according] to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel, [That] the daughters of Israel went yearly to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year.

The definition of "lament" is: "....a song or poem expressing grief, regret or mourning....." If she had been sent to the Temple, (which would be equivalent to your child going to Bethel today), why would anyone be "grieving" or "mourning"? Wouldn't they be happy? Sounds to me like she was (literally) offered as a sacrifice.

• zack
    zack

Even as a kid reading that horrid Bible Stories Book to OTHER kids, I felt the story only had one moral to it: Never make a bargain with God.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    why would anyone be "grieving" or "mourning"?

Ahhhh.

My dearest Sister Mary, do not let it escape you that is was the good kind of grieving and mourning.

Nothing but the good pain and suffering for Jehovah.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

I came across this issue a couple of months ago and am leaning towards the conclusion that she probably was sacrificed.

In the NIV Life Application Study bible v.30 states that Jephthah promised to sacrifice whatever came out of his house as a burnt offering. V.39 says her father did as he had vowed after she'd had 2 months in the hills weeping with her girlfriends. V.38 says that from this the Israelite custom came of the young women of Israel going out for four days every year to 'commemorate' the daughter of Jephthah - the society's rendition of v40 says that once a year the women of Israel go to 'give commendation' to the daughter of Jephthah. Totally different to commemorating. Other points that come to mind - 1) God led Isaac to believe he had to sacrifice his son as a sign of obedience and loyalty. 2) God sacrificed his own son for mankind 3) Better not to vow than not to vow and not pay the vow, etc, etc.

However, the NIVLASB does say that scholars are divided over this issue and that those who say Jeppie was considering human sacrifice use the following arguments 1) He was from an area where pagan religion and sacrifice were common. In his eyes, it may not have seemed like a sin. 2) Jeppie may not have had a background in religious law. Perhaps he was ignorant of God's command against human sacrifice.

Those who say Jeppie could not have been thinking about human sacrifice point to other evidence 1) As leader of the people Jeppie must have been familiar with God's laws; human sacrifice was clearly forbidden (Lev 18:21; 20:1-5) 2) No legitimate priest would have helped Jeppie carry out his vow if a person was to be the sacrifice.

Whatever Jeppie had in mind when he made the vow, did he or did he not sacrifice his daughter? Some think he did, because his vow was to make a burnt offering. Some think he did not , and they offer several reasons: 1) If the girl was to die she would not spent her last two months in the hills. 2) God would not have honored a vow based on a wicked practice 3) V39 says that she never married, not that she died, implying that she was set apart for service to God, not killed.

The jury's out.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Actually, no, the jury's not out on this one. The appologists try to explain around the obvious abhorrent actions of one of their heros and their god, but the scripture clearly said that he promised to offer his daughter as a "burnt offering" and then it says that "he did just so".

Additionally, why is anyone surprised that God gladly accepted a human sacrifice? It wasn't either the first or the last time. In fact, the central act of Christianity is based on human sacrifice. Consider these examples:

- Ex 22:29 - "The firstborn of thy sons shalt thou give unto me."

- The last chapter of leviticus (27) lists the values of humans. Each age and gender is worth a specified number of pieces of silver. Any persons devoted to destruction as burnt offerings are not to be redeemed - they must be put to death without fail.

- God commanded Abraham to sacrifice Isaac

- Jesus was a human sacrifice

- 2 Sam 21:6-14 - After 7 people were hanged “God was entreated for the land”.

- Numbers 31:40 - The Lord’s tribute was 32 persons

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Actually, no, the jury's not out on this one. The appologists try to explain around the obvious abhorrent actions of one of their heros and their god, but the scripture clearly said that he promised to offer his daughter as a "burnt offering" and then it says that "he did just so".

Additionally, why is anyone surprised that God gladly accepted a human sacrifice? It wasn't either the first or the last time. In fact, the central act of Christianity is based on human sacrifice. Consider these examples:

- Ex 22:29 - "The firstborn of thy sons shalt thou give unto me."

- The last chapter of leviticus (27) lists the values of humans. Each age and gender is worth a specified number of pieces of silver. Any persons devoted to destruction as burnt offerings are not to be redeemed - they must be put to death without fail.

- God commanded Abraham to sacrifice Isaac

- Jesus was a human sacrifice

- 2 Sam 21:6-14 - After 7 people were hanged “God was entreated for the land”.

- Numbers 31:40 - The Lord’s tribute was 32 persons

Yep.

That's Jehovah.

Bloodthirsty, isn't he?

• Leolaia
  • RunningMan
    RunningMan

Well, that pretty much wraps up that. Especially Nark's third link.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit